American School Requirements

Hi guys,

I know american schools needs a full year of:

1) General (Inorganic) chemistry

2)Organic chemistry

3)Physics

4) Calculus (not too sure)

5) English

However, I am not sure if they need courses such as biochemistry 1 or 2? Some schools say it is just recommended. Im not sure though?

Hi guys,

I know american schools needs a full year of:

1) General (Inorganic) chemistry

2)Organic chemistry

3)Physics

4) Calculus (not too sure)

5) English

However, I am not sure if they need courses such as biochemistry 1 or 2? Some schools say it is just recommended. Im not sure though?

What's there to be confused about? It means just that, some schools need biochem as a prereq, others don't. If it's recommended, it doesn't mean anything. You can either take it, or don't, doesn't make any difference in the application process (but assuming you get in, having previous credit in that course can help during studying). More important is if you need biochem to graduate from your undergrad program. A bunch of schools recommend that you take genetics, microbio, anatomy as well. But if you don't have it, that's ok. I think it's primarily meant for you to have an easier time going through those discplines during med school - because it goes by super fast, you learn a semester worth of material in a few lectures - insane!

Archived