Premed 101 Forums

reasons for stellar applicants' rejection?

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Guest JustAnotherStudent

Hi all! I found it's really helpful knowing that there are many students with a less than perfect GPA getting in. I also believe that it would be really informative if we could sum up a list of reasons why stelar applicants got reject for a better view of the system ;)

Hi all! I found it's really helpful knowing that there are many students with a less than perfect GPA getting in. I also believe that it would be really informative if we could sum up a list of reasons why stelar applicants got reject for a better view of the system ;)

A lot of applicants coming out directly from Highschool with a 4.0/4.0 GPA may not have enough life experience, social experiences and judgement to be judged as a potential doctor. Whereas someone with a non stellar GPA might have a non stellar GPA because he/she spent time into community projects, volunteering activities etc...

Although there are a lot of applicants with perfect GPA who also have tons of social experiences and usually perform really well during their MMIs.

Guest JustAnotherStudent
A lot of applicants coming out directly from Highschool with a 4.0/4.0 GPA may not have enough life experience, social experiences and judgement to be judged as a potential doctor. Whereas someone with a non stellar GPA might have a non stellar GPA because he/she spent time into community projects, volunteering activities etc...

Although there are a lot of applicants with perfect GPA who also have tons of social experiences and usually perform really well during their MMIs.

I don't think any Canadian Medical School looks at highschool grade :) Most of them require at least 3 years Bachelor GPA in any field, with the exception of 3 Quebec Universities (which allow admission after 2 years of CEGEP)

I don't think any Canadian Medical School looks at highschool grade :) Most of them require at least 3 years Bachelor GPA in any field, with the exception of 3 Quebec Universities (which allow admission after 2 years of CEGEP)

If not American schools, then Cegep. (I'm from Quebec) but I though you spoke in general (since nobody knows what Cegep is outside of Quebec...I said HS)

i think in the end it boils down to your interview performance...there are schools which i can recall using formulas to invite ppl to the interview (UWO?) so your academics would only get u that far..i think the differentiating factor would be how confident u're during the interview as well as the content of your answer, and how well you can think and support your reasoning...

i think in the end it boils down to your interview performance...there are schools which i can recall using formulas to invite ppl to the interview (UWO?) so your academics would only get u that far..i think the differentiating factor would be how confident u're during the interview as well as the content of your answer, and how well you can think and support your reasoning...

Yes and no. There are post-interview applicants with a mediocre GPA and interview that will probably get waitlisted. The best combination is having high GPA, high VR, and solid interview to get in. Maximizing those three will lead to success...a comparative deficit in any area that is weighed post-interview (not just the interview itself) will probably lead to waitlist spot.

However, by the looks of it (esp. for Queens) the interview is, worth the most.

Yes and no. There are post-interview applicants with a mediocre GPA and interview that will probably get waitlisted. The best combination is having high GPA, high VR, and solid interview to get in. Maximizing those three will lead to success...a comparative deficit in any area that is weighed post-interview (not just the interview itself) will probably lead to waitlist spot.

However, by the looks of it (esp. for Queens) the interview is, worth the most.

i agree...i was thinking about differentiation between those applicants already with stellar marks (i.e. high gpa, high mcat score)

i agree...i was thinking about differentiation between those applicants already with stellar marks (i.e. high gpa, high mcat score)

Then it's really an interview mishap...OR they got caught lying on ABS.

Either one is possible. They might not have POOR interview skills. They might though, have beliefs or values expressed during the interview that may not ring very well with the interviewer....like Satanism? lol bad example. But it has happened.

There are many many factors to take into account when trying to explore reasons why a stellar applicant may be rejected...who knows really.

Archived