Premed 101 Forums

Research on ABS

hmm... i would personally double check this with the schools you are applying to. I'm pretty sure somewhere (maybe in the OMSAS application info document) it said that you couldn't put research that was done as a part of coursework on your ABS.

When I applied at the beginning of 4th year, I did NOT put my 4th year thesis on my ABS. I had completed several seminar courses during my 3rd year which lead to research activities on the side outside of class (initiated by the students), and these I DID put on my ABS.... So it's hard to discern. I also know of people who do put their honours thesis on their ABS.

I dont know... call and ask to be sure? It is on your transcript as a thesis course, and U of T looks at your transcript..

It's a tricky situation, but I definitely wouldnt say "yes put it on your ABS" right away. You wouldn't want schools penalizing you for doing so.

Anecdote: I put my fourth year research project (which is a course) on my ABS under research. I got in.

I know OMSAS is trying to standardize things but I would guess that the file reviewers aren't actually up on the rules about the ABS. Picture a busy attending or second year med student being handed 50 ABSs. They are probably not going to go onto OMSAS and look up the nitty gritty of the rules, they are going to make some notes or score them or whatever they do and move on. I know this is a bit risky (if the rules do not to do this), but it worked for me!

It's research.

I think the exception involves doing research as part of a project/assignment for a course. For example, I took a research methodology course and had to give a presentation on some random topic. That wasn't really "research". But my thesis projects definitely were.

Yea definitely include it. I agree with HBP, if its research like an report or poster as part of a sit-down classroom course I wouldn't include it, but if it is an independent project or wet-lab project then definitely include it.

To echo EoE, don't worry so much about if everything is a perfect fit for the categories. If there is something you really want to include, find a way to get it in there. There is a certain amount of leeway with the ABS. Personally I noticed significant errors on mine including accidentally labelling one of my projects with the title of the previous one (so I had the same title twice, but different projects), some formatting errors and other issues, but still got three offers and a waitlist out of 4 interviews. While you should obviously be prudent about the ABS, don't get hung up on the tiny details.

Hey, does anybody know if it would be appropriate to put a fourth year/senior research project on your ABS under the category "Research"?? Is it appropriate to put research on your ABS that was done under an academic course?

The more the better IMO but make sure it has substance

It's research.

I think the exception involves doing research as part of a project/assignment for a course. For example, I took a research methodology course and had to give a presentation on some random topic. That wasn't really "research". But my thesis projects definitely were.

This.

I can't really think of very many people I know who didn't include their thesis project as research. I think the OMSAS rules apply more for work done as an assignment for other courses.

Cool, Cause the research I am referring to is not an assignment of a regular course. The course consists of a semester research project that, instead of getting paid (like a usra), is assigned an academic credit provided you do a presentation, research proposal, and thesis paper. There is no class, and it is all independent.

The only reason I am listing it is because it is significant to me--my research topic is based on my future interests in medicine and public health.

I called Deborah to ask about this in September, and she said we shouldn't include it if the research is done for course credit (and so I excluded my third-year thesis project from the research section of my ABS). That said, it seems that others have done exactly that and still got in, so I can't imagine it'd be a huge issue even if you included it, especially if it's relevant to you personally.

Archived