Premed 101 Forums

Calculation of GPA

Hi! I know there has already been a lot of discussion about how UoT determines your GPA but there is still something I'm unclear on. Now this may seem obvious but I wanted to be absolutely sure.

So I know they will drop your bottom 3.0 courses after 3rd year, and your bottom 4.0 courses at 4th year, but what I was wondering was how they calculated it after that? Would they add up the courses left from each year and get a GPA for each year and then average up the yearly totals? Or would they put them all into one big pool and year a GPA?

For example:

My first year:

1.0 - 84 (3.7)

0.5 - 80 (3.7) - 4

1.0 - 75 (3.0) - 3,4

1.0 - 78 (3.3) - 3

0.5 - 93 (4.0)

1.0 - 71 (2.7) - 3,4

= 3.78(3rd year app)/3.8(4th year app)

My second year:

0.5 - 83 (3.7)

0.5 - 88 (3.9)

0.5 - 86 (3.9)

0.5 - 76 (3.0) – 4

0.5 – 87 (3.9)

0.5 – 90 (4.0)

0.5 – 90 (4.0)

0.5 – 90 (4.0)

1.0 – 90 (4.0)

=3.84(3rd year app)/3.93(4th year app)

I put a 3 beside courses that would be dropped if I applied after 3rd, and a 4 for those dropped after 4th.

Now if I got a 3.9 in 3rd and 4th, if I applied after 4th:

If all 4 years GPAs were calculated and then averaged:

3.8+3.93+3.9+3.9 /4= 3.88

Whereas if all the credits were counted as freestanding:

3.7(2)+4+3.7+3.9+3.9+3.9+4+4+4+4(2)+3.9(10)+3.9(10) /42= 3.9

So you can see it makes a difference, though not huge.

Thanks for your time!

Hi! I know there has already been a lot of discussion about how UoT determines your GPA but there is still something I'm unclear on. Now this may seem obvious but I wanted to be absolutely sure.

So I know they will drop your bottom 3.0 courses after 3rd year, and your bottom 4.0 courses at 4th year, but what I was wondering was how they calculated it after that? Would they add up the courses left from each year and get a GPA for each year and then average up the yearly totals? Or would they put them all into one big pool and year a GPA?

For example:

My first year:

1.0 - 84 (3.7)

0.5 - 80 (3.7) - 4

1.0 - 75 (3.0) - 3,4

1.0 - 78 (3.3) - 3

0.5 - 93 (4.0)

1.0 - 71 (2.7) - 3,4

= 3.78(3rd year app)/3.8(4th year app)

My second year:

0.5 - 83 (3.7)

0.5 - 88 (3.9)

0.5 - 86 (3.9)

0.5 - 76 (3.0) – 4

0.5 – 87 (3.9)

0.5 – 90 (4.0)

0.5 – 90 (4.0)

0.5 – 90 (4.0)

1.0 – 90 (4.0)

=3.84(3rd year app)/3.93(4th year app)

I put a 3 beside courses that would be dropped if I applied after 3rd, and a 4 for those dropped after 4th.

Now if I got a 3.9 in 3rd and 4th, if I applied after 4th:

If all 4 years GPAs were calculated and then averaged:

3.8+3.93+3.9+3.9 /4= 3.88

So you can see it makes a difference, though not huge.

Thanks for your time!

You aren't giving the dropping formula if applying after third year. Only for 4th year or above applicants.

From the website:

A GPA weighting formula may be used for students who have completed at least three years of university study and have taken a full course load (i.e., five full credits), during the regular academic session, in each of their academic years.

GPA will be calculated eliminating one full-course equivalent grade per full year of study. Students applying after completion of three years of study will have their lowest 3 full-course equivalent grades removed from the GPA calculation, after completion of four years, their lowest 4 full-course equivalent grades, etc. We remove lowest overall grades, not lowest grades in each year of study.

This calculation is designed to encourage students to take demanding, advanced courses which advance their education during their undergraduate years.

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong but doesn't it say that if you are applying aftrer 3rd year it will drop your lowest 3-full course grades?

You aren't giving the dropping formula if applying after third year. Only for 4th year or above applicants.

That's false, UofT will give you a weighted gpa (wGPA) even if you apply after having completed 3 years of study (are in your fourth year during application).

You need to have had a full course load during those 3 years. If you apply after 3 completed years, they drop your lowest 3 full courses/6 half courses. If you apply after graduation then you drop your lowest 4 full courses/8 half courses.

You can confirm this on their site, as well as their blog.

Hope that helps, and in regards to your question I was thinking the same thing the other day but I never figured it out.

Maybe someone else can add to that?

UofT just adds up all your credits and divides by the number of courses that you've taken (after dropping the lowest ones).

This is the way they'd calculate your wGPA, but you divide by 32, not 42.

UofT just adds up all your credits and divides by the number of courses that you've taken (after dropping the lowest ones).

This is the way they'd calculate your wGPA, but you divide by 32, not 42.

Maybe it's implied, but does anyone know what happens if you have taken extra courses each term due to your program requirements i.e. more than a full course load?

Would they drop more courses from the wGPA calculation or just divide by the number of courses that you've taken?

Maybe it's implied, but does anyone know what happens if you have taken extra courses each term due to your program requirements i.e. more than a full course load?

Would they drop more courses from the wGPA calculation or just divide by the number of courses that you've taken?

Just divide - in Ontario only Western caps things at 5.0 courses.

Now during the evaluation of your app if they see the above normal course load I suspect you may get extra points for that :)

That's false, UofT will give you a weighted gpa (wGPA) even if you apply after having completed 3 years of study (are in your fourth year during application).

You need to have had a full course load during those 3 years. If you apply after 3 completed years, they drop your lowest 3 full courses/6 half courses. If you apply after graduation then you drop your lowest 4 full courses/8 half courses.

You can confirm this on their site, as well as their blog.

Hope that helps, and in regards to your question I was thinking the same thing the other day but I never figured it out.

Maybe someone else can add to that?

Yesm my bad i reas his/her question incorrectly

Archived