Premed 101 Forums

Alberta Residency?

Hey

I'm moving to alberta this summer and is it august 1st we have to be there by or july 25th? on the u of c website it says first day of classes is july 25th...but if in fact it is august 1st, this would make my rent options cheaper because otherwise i have to pay for all of july for most places i am looking at

many thanks

Wouldn't hurt to call and check if that few days would violate the 1 year residency requirement

I am little confused.....If one were to move to Alberta for that exact purpose, then apply for this cycle, would that person be considered in province while being evaluated at the interview invite stage?

Also, how do you prove a residency status? utility bill? health card? And how would they know what proportion of the time (in the year prior to matriculation) you actually spent in Alberta?

I am little confused.....If one were to move to Alberta for that exact purpose, then apply for this cycle, would that person be considered in province while being evaluated at the interview invite stage?

Also, how do you prove a residency status? utility bill? health card? And how would they know what proportion of the time (in the year prior to matriculation) you actually spent in Alberta?

Moving by Aug. 1 would make you IP for the upcoming cycle. You must have lived in AB permanently for 12 months prior to your intended start date of medical school.

You need to meet the requirements and have documents to verify it (lease, utility bills, healthcard, licence, etc). The more documents the better, of course. It has been mentioned that if there is any question about your residency, they will contact you for more info. Follow the rules and you will be fine.

Thanks LostLamb!

No problem! Another note, though: Make sure you look at the new applicant manual that will be posted sometime in July. It will have the most up-to-date information on these requirements and will be applicable for the upcoming cycle. There has been some discussion that requirements (not necessarily residency ones) will be changing this round so do keep watching the applicant website! :) That's where the official word is!

• 3 weeks later...

I believe that the Alberta residency requirement should be change to 3 years. Why can a person claim residency when he just move here for 1 year before class begins, apply and get in. He/She probably have no chance to get interview when he apply as OOP, and get accepted since only up to 15% is open to OOP.

All western provinces (and actually all the provinces except Ontariro or may be Quebec) requires you to staty there for 2 to 3 years, and that is a reason for that. They don't want you to take the short cut, and it is much easier to get some evidences that you actually are in province since you have to tell them what you have been doing in your resume. I really hate someone could move in, get a 1 year lease, he may not even stay here for the full 1 year, and he can apply as IP, taking away the spot from other Albertans. If you think that is fair, then I have a lot of problems with that.

Since you don't even have to provide what you have been doing for the 1 year you cliam you are in Alberta, you can, if you want, stay in your province, if you get in, you move, if you don't, you stay in your province. Next year, you either don't apply to Alberta so you don't have to reveal where you have been or simply don't apply to Alberta at all. Nobody will know. I am sure someone has done that (can of worm now, haha :D ).

I'm really hoping that U of C and U of A will change it this year, and I think they know what is going on, it gives a level playing field for everyone. If you want to be Albertan, you come here and do the time (3 years).

Alberta is a nice place to live, we welcome you to come here and stay, but don't try to come in for 1 year, do your MD, and transfer out back to your home province.

I believe that the Alberta residency requirement should be change to 3 years. Why can a person claim residency when he just move here for 1 year before class begins, apply and get in. He/She probably have no chance to get interview when he apply as OOP, and get accepted since only up to 15% is open to OOP.

All western provinces (and actually all the provinces except Ontariro or may be Quebec) requires you to staty there for 2 to 3 years, and that is a reason for that. They don't want you to take the short cut, and it is much easier to get some evidences that you actually are in province since you have to tell them what you have been doing in your resume. I really hate someone could move in, get a 1 year lease , he may not even stay here for the full 1 year, and he can apply as IP, taking away the spot from other Albertans. If you think that is fair, then I have a lot of problems with that.

Since you don't even have to provide what you have been doing for the 1 year you cliam you are in Alberta, you can, if you want, stay in your province, if you get in, you move, if you don't, you stay in your province. Next year, you either don't apply to Alberta so you don't have to reveal where you have been or simply don't apply to Alberta at all. Nobody will know. I am sure someone has done that (can of worm now, haha :D ).

I'm really hoping that U of C and U of A will change it this year, and I think they know what is going on, it gives a level playing field for everyone. If you want to be Albertan, you come here and do the time (3 years).

Alberta is a nice place to live, we welcome you to come here and stay, but don't try to come in for 1 year, do your MD, and transfer out back to your home province.

that is 100% my scenario. Do you think I do not deserve to be in medical school in Alberta?

if you wouldn't mind taking a step down from your high horse for a second, I'd like you to listen to my side of things. I lived in the same province for 22 years. I lived at home for my Bachelors. By the end of it, I wanted to go abroad for the rest of my studies. Alberta has always been a place I found exciting to live in, and I was thrilled to find out I could get an in province residency status for medical school. I have a pretty average MCAT, and am fairly certain I would not receive an OOP invite. So I moved to Alberta to start graduate school, fulfilling the 1 year requirement in the meantime. I was accepted this year and am excited that I will be living here for the next 7-8 years, at least. Will I still live here when I finish? Who knows. Do I deserve to be here? Yes, I do.

You seem to take issue with the applicants who make use of this 1 year residency requirement as if we are exploiting some admissions loophole. Your problem is with the UofA and UofC medical school admissions (who seem to have no issue with us coming to share "your" beautiful province). Don't take your frustrations out on the applicants.

I agree with NewfieMike. If someone's going to come and move here for a year, then I think that means they live here. I have no problem with them being considered an Alberta resident. If anything, it would be nice if med schools in other provinces changed their residency requirements to be more like Alberta's. I lived in Nova Scotia year-round for 4 years while I was doing my PhD, and that didn't make me a Nova Scotia resident for Dal. I loved Halifax and would have loved to have the option of staying there. Living in Alberta for a year seems like long enough to me. It shouldn't take an inordinate amount of time and jumping through a bunch of ridiculous hoops before you're considered a resident of the place you live.

I think the issue is that UofC and UofA have a mandate, arguably an ethical responsibility, to educate high quality medical professionals who will give back to the province upon graduation. Keep in mind that Alberta taxpayers foot a large portion of our education costs. In my opinion, the longer you have been an Alberta resident, the more likely you are to remain an Alberta resident upon graduation. Is 1 year before school and 3 years during school sufficient to make you stay/return after residency? I guess that's a question for a stats major to flush out...

With that being said, I certainly agree with you NewfieMike that the residency criteria is not something that should be held against those who have fulfilled it. You can't get mad at the players for following the rules of the game. And, I love that UofC seems so welcoming to people from diverse backgrounds and I think it is a huge positive for everyone in the class to have peers from across the country.

The residency status, I think, is determined by the province or the university, not the medical school. This is why it doesn't matter whether you are applying to undergrad or medical school.

I doubt lazyboy would have such a strong voice, if he was not waitlisted. To me, it seems that you are trying to vent your frustration for not getting accepted. Also, numbers can fluctuate a lot from year to year, as do the cut-offs. Look at the UBC trends, and you will see what Im talking about.

It is so interesting to see that the people that respond to this is those that come from other provinces. I would like to see those IP (stay here longer than 1 year), what their response is if they know they can actually get in if this rule is changed.

If you take a look at Ontario, whose policy is to accept anyone from across Canada, you know how those IP people thinks? There is no way for IP that has better than average mark to even gain an interview.

All I am saying is the rule should be the same across Canada, if you want to be IP in that province, you need to move there, stay there for number of years, doing PhD, MSc, get a job whatever, and then you can apply as IP. Currently, there is no way to prove that you stay in Alberta for a year except that piece of 1 year lease, driver license. You don't even need to tell admission what you have done for the year, b/c it is in the future when u apply. I bet if the admisison starts asking those applicants to show them what they have done for the year, a few won't be able to prove they actually stay in Alberta

The average to go into U of A for IP this year is 3.9 and 33Q. That is very close to the average in Ontario, and that is for all Canadian applicants. U of C is in a similiar situation, they don't even need to maintain 2 waiting lists (one for IP and one for OOP) b/c the score in IP is actually higher than OOP. I think most of them are OOP a year before. Once again, Alberta is paying for those that game the rule. :D

to lazyboy: ummm not quite. Mac has a 90% rule (90% of its class has to be from Ont). I know that Northern status is open to any rural/remote experience, though people from NO gets the most points. SWOMEN is Southwestern Ontario, and I believe Queens and U of T are the two that are open to across the province, though historically most of their class has been occupied from a a majority of students from Ontario. Ottawa prefers francophones and individuals from the Ottawa region.

I would like to see Ontario IP rules. But as many members have pointed out in discussions, we are evidently saturated with physicians in Toronto and the surrounding region, and we also have our own socio-geographic mandates within our province to fill (ex. NOSM). I understand your frustrations, but there is very little that applicants can do except play the game as best as you can.

And HBP :) we do have it 10x worse. I just use that as a motivation to try 11x harder.

It is so interesting to see that the people that respond to this is those that come from other provinces. I would like to see those IP (stay here longer than 1 year), what their response is if they know they can actually get in if this rule is changed.

I'm not from another province. I was born in Alberta, I lived here for 18 years and graduated from high school here, my parents and most of my family live here, and when I left for school it was always my intention to come back here permanently. I just think it shouldn't be ridiculously hard for people who move to any given province to be considered a resident of that province.

To add to larva's post - so does UofM, and Dal.

I also took up 2 IP spots in provinces I've never been to - one at UofC, one at UofM. All the other Ontario med schools rejected me pre-interview. With my crappy marks, I was lucky to be even interviewed at Western.

Do I deserve to be going to med school? Probably not. But I'm still going.

The system has its flaws, just like every other system. It isn't always fair, but life goes on. If you have the spirit to keep trying like many members here (e.g. LL), you'll get it one day.

i agree with lazyboy, well said; what people are doing is ****

the funny part is if someone is OOP and applies @ U of C as IP, they might be hurting themselves in the end; i was told that one year the OOP waitlist was completely exhausted (everyone admitted) after which they then offered the remaining spots to IPs

proposed alternative: stop playing the system, get the grade, study for the MCAT, be rewarded

i agree with lazyboy, well said; what people are doing is ****

the funny part is if someone is OOP and applies @ U of C as IP, they might be hurting themselves in the end; i was told that one year the OOP waitlist was completely exhausted (everyone admitted) after which they then offered the remaining spots to IPs

proposed alternative: stop playing the system, get the grade, study for the MCAT, be rewarded

you make it sound as if by fulfilling the one year IP requirement you're guaranteed an acceptance.

We still had to compete with the rest of the Alberta applicants. Calgary was the only school I applied to. I probably would've gotten an IP interview in my home province. I have the right to go to school wherever I want, and I exercised that right.

Also, just a note- the UofA does not consider you an IP if you are attending full time classes (or Master's or PhD) during your "IP" years (if you come from another province). Likewise if you're from Alberta and move elsewhere, as long as you're taking full-time studies, you're considered an IP.

There'll always be the issue of "gaming the system", but as far as I'm concerned (as an AB IP), as long as you're committed enough to be living here for the required amount of time, it's fair game. Just like if someone were to move to Ontario to get IP for Mac, or to move and live in a rural area for years for rural status at NOSM or AB. I would take issue if the person doesn't even live here when they say they do, but finding that out is as hard as really truly verifying ECs.

Gaming the system is less likely in AB when compared to QC when you think about it. For IP status there, you just need to be born there. You don't need to live there a day of your life. How fair is that to the QC IPs that have lived there their whole life?

The fact of the matter is, gaming of the system/loophole jumping exists. That's what happens when the supply of premeds outweighs the demand of seats by such a large margin. Extremely qualified candidates are forced by the nature of the process to find and use the loopholes that exist just to be able to compete. It's part of the process. Should it be? Probably not. But that's being too ideal in an nonideal world.

Archived