Premed 101 Forums

Is there still a chance?

eng

Hi guise,

I am really interested to study medicine, however, I have been through extra-ordinary circumstances which made everything very complex.

My 1st year Science gpa: 76%

2nd year Science 75%

Transferred to 2nd year engineering (ece): 58%

3rd year Engineering 85%

4th year starting from September.

As you may notice my CGPa will make my chances almost negligible in Canada and the US. However, I know (I hope its true) that Schools like UWO, Dalhousie, and Saskatchewan only look at your last two years or Best Two years of Gpa. Is it true? Or they consider your CGPA in addition to your two year gpa?

Due to medical problems my second year Engineering grades substantially dropped. The heavy course load in that year (6 courses per term) forced my gpa down further. So, I am wondering is there still a hope to pursue medicine in Canada?

I have great extracurricular: research, volunteer experience, technical experience, and hands on experience on several engineering medical related projects. In addition to that, I am also been involved with various clubs in my university. It's the GPA case which is almost making me cry whenever I think about medicine. I am going to give my MCAT this year. Any advise will be great appreciated.

I know (I hope its true) that Schools like UWO, Dalhousie, and Saskatchewan only look at your last two years or Best Two years of Gpa. Is it true? Or they consider your CGPA in addition to your two year gpa?

Yes, but your MCAT score will be crucial for UWO. And by the way, it's not your average mark that matters, but your GPA (in other words 85% average /= 3.9 GPA)

For USask accepted average has been 90%+, do the math and 85% average for OOP is slim chance.

And Queens you should consider too.

I know (I hope its true) that Schools like UWO, Dalhousie, and Saskatchewan only look at your last two years or Best Two years of Gpa. Is it true? Or they consider your CGPA in addition to your two year gpa?

Yes, but your MCAT score will be crucial for UWO. And by the way, it's not your average mark that matters, but your GPA (in other words 85% average /= 3.9 GPA)

For USask accepted average has been 90%+, do the math and 85% average for OOP is slim chance.

And Queens you should consider too.

Thanks Shikimate! Yes, I never knew I can apply to Queens too.

Also, have anyone of Dalhousie's residency requirements?

Well, it does depend on what school you aim for, but you're definitely going to have to pull those marks way up, and focus hard on the mcat. With a GPA like that you will need to show yourself as impressive in a lot of other fields, to prove that your GPA doesn't mean you're not motivated to do well.

If you can accomplish that, you should be able to get in still. Why do you think your GPA is coming out so low? You should critically analyse your own strategy and try to determine what's up with your marks. Are you getting distracted? Are you not studying hard enough? Are the courses above your head? There are ways to deal with all of these things :)

Archived