Premed 101 Forums

Astrophysics as an undergrad for Medical school

You should really read the FAQ sticky topic. It is generally accepted that anyone can get into med school with any degree, all that counts is GPA, MCAT, and ECs. You don't need to necessarily have a biology degree, but you have to make sure that you meet all the requirements for med school.

I have a PhD in astrophysics, so I can tell you that UofC accepts people with physics degrees. :) UofC also doesn't have required courses and doesn't care what your degree is in or where you went to school. I wasn't planning to apply to med school when I did my undergrad, but I do know quite a few people who were doing physics or astrophysics undergrads and got into med schools that did have required courses and didn't have a problem fitting them all in. You just have to keep on top of things and make a plan for when you're going take all of your courses.

Interesting. Aren't most physics majors supposed to specialize only in grad-school (Astro, condensed-matter, optical, etc.)?

And no, as long as you take the given prerequisites, which vary from school to school, you can even major in dance and get accepted. ;)

Interesting. Aren't most physics majors supposed to specialize only in grad-school (Astro, condensed-matter, optical, etc.)?

Most physics departments that are reasonably large have at least a separate undergrad astrophysics or astronomy major. Some departments have a separate biophysics major as well, although at some schools that's in the biology department. And really big departments might have a bunch of different emphases you can pick at the undergrad level. At some places physics and astrophysics aren't even in the same department. But the area you specialize in (or don't) as an undergrad doesn't have to have anything to do with what you choose to do in grad school. Physics grad programs don't necessarily care what kind of research you did in undergrad as long as you learned how to do some research.

Most physics departments that are reasonably large have at least a separate undergrad astrophysics or astronomy major. Some departments have a separate biophysics major as well, although at some schools that's in the biology department. And really big departments might have a bunch of different emphases you can pick at the undergrad level. At some places physics and astrophysics aren't even in the same department. But the area you specialize in (or don't) as an undergrad doesn't have to have anything to do with what you choose to do in grad school. Physics grad programs don't necessarily care what kind of research you did in undergrad as long as you learned how to do some research.

I see. Thanks for taking the time to explain it, astrogirl. :)

Archived