Premed 101 Forums

Masters-When to apply?

If you are in your final year, do you apply for master programs around the same time you apply for med schools, if you want to go into either the upcoming september after you graduate because the deadlines for the graduate programs seem all over the place with some being in May/June. Does the May/June mean that if accepted you being in the upcoming September?

Sorry if this is confusing :(

If you are in your final year, do you apply for master programs around the same time you apply for med schools, if you want to go into either the upcoming september after you graduate because the deadlines for the graduate programs seem all over the place with some being in May/June. Does the May/June mean that if accepted you being in the upcoming September?

Sorry if this is confusing :(

helloo. yes, some grad programs have relatively "late" deadlines (may/june) for upcoming September entry. on the other hand, most med schools have relatively "early" deadlines, especially american schools. good luck!

Yep, the deadlines are kind of all over the place for grad school, and it can be kind of annoying because you can get accepted to one school and they'll want an answer from you before the deadline from another school has even passed. I've seen deadlines as late as July for the upcoming September. If you do get in the situation where school A wants an answer before you've heard from school B, it's acceptable to ask school A for more time to decide and to ask school B when they're going to make their decision. You may or may not get anywhere by asking, but it's not considered bad form to do so.

Like everyone else said, it depends on the school/program, but grad administration tends to be more lenient than undergrad. Some schools also allow starts in May, September, and January.

For example, when I decided to apply to McMaster Medical Sciences in December '09 for a January '10 M.Sc. start, I had already missed the deadline by a couple of weeks. I went into their office and spoke with the admissions coordinator who told me as long as I could get my LORs and transcripts to her by the end of the week, she'd process my application. In the mean time, she told me to start interviewing with labs to find a potential supervisor. By the following Monday I had been accepted to the program and had a supervisor lined up. My case isn't typical, and I wouldn't leave it as late as I did. Just thought I would share my experience.

My advice is to make every effort you can to meet/contact the admissions office at the school's you're interested in and ask them directly when the deadlines are and what you need in order to apply.

Archived