Premed 101 Forums

Coming back to Canada

I'm thinking about applying to some schools in the states but I want to know how easy/difficult it is to come back and practice in Canada after doing med school and your residency in the states. As well does anyone know how difficult it is to apply for a residency after doing medical school in the US? Thanks :)

As of right now, its not too difficult. But you must remember that you are only starting to apply now. By the time you actually get in, finish medical school and finish residency, that could be up to 9 years you are talking about.

No one knows what the situation will be between the two countries in that much time. As of right now, US students can apply in the first round in residency match and Canadian recruitment agencies are aggressively recruiting physicians (particularly family, ER and psych) to Canada.

It may be possible that these agencies and Canada in general meets these demands in the future and then makes it difficult again for physicians to come back to Canada from the States.

In general, you should in the future do residency in the country you would like to practice in. By the time you would graduate, I would imagine US students are still eligible to participate in the match in Canada, so your best bet would be to do residency in Canada which is not that difficult to do provided you are willing to move to most places around the country (in 5 years however, I'm not sure what the difficulty of doing this would be, but would imagine it still being doable)

Archived