Premed 101 Forums

McMaster Social Science --> Med School?

I have an ambition to become a doctor though my average in high school wasn't the greatest (~78) so I could not apply to any Life Science programs. Why was it this low? Distractions and lack of motivation, really.

Anyway, I received word from somebody that if I apply to McMaster Social Sciences (Neuroscience and Psychology to be precise), I can go to Med school if I complete my prerequisites as elective courses. And voila, I got accepted to this program so now I'm wondering: is this true? If it's true, is it difficult to achieve?

Thank you and I hope to see some answers. :)

You can apply to med school with a bachelor's degree in any discipline as long as you have the pre-reqs and MCAT done. Generally, canadian medical schools require little to no pre-reqs. (Check every school individually)

That being said, McMaster Social Sciences isn't a program specifically designed to provide an alternative route into medicine. Like I said, you can do your degree in anything that interests you, be it McMaster social sciences or xyz.

I have an ambition to become a doctor though my average in high school wasn't the greatest (~78) so I could not apply to any Life Science programs. Why was it this low? Distractions and lack of motivation, really.

Anyway, I received word from somebody that if I apply to McMaster Social Sciences (Neuroscience and Psychology to be precise), I can go to Med school if I complete my prerequisites as elective courses. And voila, I got accepted to this program so now I'm wondering: is this true? If it's true, is it difficult to achieve?

Absolutely, you can go to med school with any degree as long as you complete the pre reqs, and mcmaster is pretty flexible with allowing people to fulfill pre reqs, when you pick your courses on solar select bio, chem and physics as electives and you should be fine!

If you think that's the program you want to spend 4 years of your life doing, don't hesitate. However if you're only doing it because of some pre-conceived notion that you need to attend Uni after Grade 12 of high school I would suggest taking a victory lap and getting your marks to where they need to be so you can attend the program of your choice. Remember, the odds of getting into meds are stacked heavily against you, and if you're doing an undergrad that you don't enjoy because it's the only one you got into and it's for the express purpose of meds chances are you won't get in and will have wound up wasting 4 years and a lot of money. I myself did an extra semester of Grade 12 after slacking off for an entire year and getting an 80% avg., now my average is 90% and I got into all the programs that I wanted to. I know that if I don't get into meds like 90% of all hopefuls, I'm still doing an undergrad in something that I enjoy and as such will still enjoy careers other than meds related to my undergrad.

You should seriously consider doing a victory lap. I know 99.9% of kids in your position would scoff at this idea, but you need to understand that there is no rush. Of course there isn't any reason why you can't go and get a 4.0 gpa in this undergrad and book your ticket to a medical school, but as I said the chances of that happening are very slim. You're better off getting your marks to where they need to be, polishing your work/study habits, preparing yourself mentally, and going into the program you want to. This will give you the best chance of getting into meds, and if that doesn't happen you can still do something you'll enjoy.

Archived