Premed 101 Forums

I thought that my journey to being accepted into medical school would provide hope to someone with a bad gpa in their first year or two of university.

After graduating high school I went to University without any real direction, so I partied a lot and as a result had a pretty horrible first year. I took 9 courses that first year and I got:

1 B+

2 B's

2 B-'s

1 C+

1 C

2 F's

On UVic's 9.0 gpa scale this works out to a gpa of 3.22.

A pretty bad start. Obviously I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I took a year off and went traveling for 6 months to Central America. I guess I didn't do enough soul-searching on this trip because when I came back to UVic I took three courses and I got:

1 D

2 F's

This is a sessional gpa of 0.33 on UVic's 9.0 gpa scale. I was required to withdraw (says this on my transcript) from university and go to a community college if I wanted to come back.

So, I worked and traveled again. Throughout the course of this year off I decided that I wanted to be a doctor. So I enrolled at Camosun College for two years and did exceptionally well. I then transferred back to UVic for two more years and continued to be near the top of my class.

I never thought that I would get to post this but I have been fortunate enough to receive offers from 3 of the 4 schools I applied to. Including UBC.

I hope my story can provide hope to someone who didn't graduate from high school knowing they wanted to become a doctor or to someone who had a crappy first couple of years

I thought that my journey to being accepted into medical school would provide hope to someone with a bad gpa in their first year or two of university.

After graduating high school I went to University without any real direction, so I partied a lot and as a result had a pretty horrible first year. I took 9 courses that first year and I got:

1 B+

2 B's

2 B-'s

1 C+

1 C

2 F's

On UVic's 9.0 gpa scale this works out to a gpa of 3.22.

A pretty bad start. Obviously I didn't know what I wanted to do, so I took a year off and went traveling for 6 months to Central America. I guess I didn't do enough soul-searching on this trip because when I came back to UVic I took three courses and I got:

1 D

2 F's

This is a sessional gpa of 0.33 on UVic's 9.0 gpa scale. I was required to withdraw (says this on my transcript) from university and go to a community college if I wanted to come back.

So, I worked and traveled again. Throughout the course of this year off I decided that I wanted to be a doctor. So I enrolled at Camosun College for two years and did exceptionally well. I then transferred back to UVic for two more years and continued to be near the top of my class.

I never thought that I would get to post this but I have been fortunate enough to receive offers from 3 of the 4 schools I applied to. Including UBC.

I hope my story can provide hope to someone who didn't graduate from high school knowing they wanted to become a doctor or to someone who had a crappy first couple of years

Truly one of those happy ending stories, brought a smile to my face. I am glad that you got into the career path you wanted to. I share a similar situation with yourself, but mine was due to personal reasons rather than lack of direction.

great story man, thanks for sharing.. I would have imagined it would have take you quite a few years however.

Yes, I did put in 4 solid years with good grades. The point I am trying to make is that if you do well enough medical schools can see past a rough start. I mean it can't get much worse than getting kicked out of university for having such poor grades.

Did you ever change your major through the process? If not what did you major in?

Congrats!

Yes. Initially I was in the faculty of social science with no declared major, and then upon returning to school I switched to the faculty of science and majored in microbiology.

Yes. Initially I was in the faculty of social science with no declared major, and then upon returning to school I switched to the faculty of science and majored in microbiology.

Ha! I figured out who you are! I can't believe that number man a perfect 9.0!

Archived