Premed 101 Forums

Living Off Residence

thehockeykid

undergrad, what is the difference?

I heard if you choose to live in an apartment building it is good to get ur laundry machines in your own apartment this way nobody takes your laundry when your not attending it or you dont have to wait for it in the laundry room

I think the biggest difference is that going in to med school, I'm older (and pickier) and have much higher expectations for what I want. I'm tired of student housing and want somewhere that feels like a home. When I was younger the biggest factor was cost because Ottawa is an expensive place to live.

Also, getting laundry in your apartment really depends on if the building has the infrastructure for it. Getting apartments that include laundry in a high-rise type building is hard unless it's a condo. I've never had a problem with anyone stealing my laundry, but I've heard of it happening, I just don't have the time to sit with it.

For med school I'm living in a condominium that I'm renting, close to campus but most importantly close to groceries (since I'm a pedestrian), paying less than 500 a month, and my must haves are a dishwasher and two bathrooms (for a two bedroom place).

undergrad, what is the difference?

I think the biggest difference is that going in to med school, I'm older (and pickier) and have much higher expectations for what I want. I'm tired of student housing and want somewhere that feels like a home.

+1

Also, the LOC allows a more generous lifestyle than what you can usually afford as an undergrad.

I've upgraded my living expectations as well, even though I'm not paying much more than 5-10 years ago. I sacrificed distance (I'm about 50 minutes of metro-walking away from school) for quality though. I have a 3 1/2 but it's in a triplex with my landlords and their 2 kids living on the first floor. My neighbors are super quiet (or never there), and I have 2 12-foot long balconies on either side so it's just like a condo. I have no intentions of moving out until I've bought a house.

im going into 2nd year and have already moved in to my house. i share it with 6 other guys and we each pay 350$/month + utilities. the reason we picked our house is because of the location (10 min walk/2 min drive to school) and because our landlord is really chill meaning we can basically fsu without anyone bothering us about it

I got a place downtown. 10 min from the hospital and 20 min from UBC. $800 a month with my own private bathroom and closet and there's also a gym on our floor. High-speed internet is a must for me, as is basic TV for sports. I room with one other med student who has his own private bathroom and room and everything.

Bunch of questions about how are you living

-high rise apartment or a house

-downtown or close to campus

-student housing or adult life

-amenities to look for

-how much to pay per month

-what are your must haves

-3rd year undergrad

-House, share it with 3 other girls (guess I just gave away my gender there, LOL). There is also a basement apartment so we just have the main and top floors

-about a 20 minute walk to campus, but on a bus route

-student housing, but nicely mixed in with some families (who are awesome at sharing their snowblower :D )

-pay $450/month, utilities included

-must haves would be dishwasher, wireless high speed, my own bedroom.

Bunch of questions about how are you living

-high rise apartment or a house

-downtown or close to campus

-student housing or adult life

-amenities to look for

-how much to pay per month

-what are your must haves

Just finished undergrad. This is where I've been living for two years.

-high rise apartment, is three floors 'high rise'?

-downtown, literally a five minute walk

-adult life, living with a girlfriend

-covered parking spaces, proximity to grocery stores, direct bus route to university

-$840, but my share is $480

-CHEAP RENT, this city is pretty expensive

Obviously my must haves are changing now that I'm moving from undergrad to med school. I'd like two bedrooms so I can turn one into my office, a dishwasher, and in-suite laundry. And maybe secured underground parking. I plan to spend $1200 monthly now.

^350 a month is so cheap, i am kind of regretting on choosing a place to stay paying around 750 per month (luxury apartment, 2 bedroom, good location, utilities included, amenities).

The other alternative was a 600 dollar per month student housing with 3 other guys.

Damn, how can you afford that?

I will be starting medicine next year.

Got an apartment 20 mins by walk+bus from school.

Not really "downtown" Montreal as its just way too expensive for a very small apartment down there.

3 storey low-rise apartment building

About $450 each per month for utility + apartment

Personally, I find it much more important to have a nice place to live than to be close to the university.

Just finished undergrad. This is where I've been living for two years.

-high rise apartment, is three floors 'high rise'?

-downtown, literally a five minute walk

-adult life, living with a girlfriend

-covered parking spaces, proximity to grocery stores, direct bus route to university

-$840, but my share is $480

-CHEAP RENT, this city is pretty expensive

Obviously my must haves are changing now that I'm moving from undergrad to med school. I'd like two bedrooms so I can turn one into my office, a dishwasher, and in-suite laundry. And maybe secured underground parking. I plan to spend $1200 monthly now.

3 story is considered low-rise.

if you are looking up in kelowna there are some really great places for cheap cheap cheap.

my sister lived in a brand new building that was about 15 minutes away from downtown and 15 minutes away from the ubc-o campus. she had a 1br + den that was a ground floor in a brand new building for 900 i think.

if you want pm me and i'll get the building details for you.

Archived