Premed 101 Forums

question about masters degree

hello

i'm going to be going to graduate school to get a masters degree in biotechnology but i also want to try my hand at getting into medical school afterwards and i was just wondering whether this degree would improve my chances of getting accepted?

also one more quick and kind of unrelated question. i took the mcats during my second year just to see how i would do. how long are able to keep an mcat score before it becomes obsolete?

thanks in advance

hello

i'm going to be going to graduate school to get a masters degree in biotechnology but i also want to try my hand at getting into medical school afterwards and i was just wondering whether this degree would improve my chances of getting accepted?

also one more quick and kind of unrelated question. i took the mcats during my second year just to see how i would do. how long are able to keep an mcat score before it becomes obsolete?

thanks in advance

Generally a graduate degree would be of help! Some schools it will directly (some offer a bonus to your applicant score, some allow you to apply with a lower GPA in your UG, some are just known for valuing research highly) and others perhaps only indirectly (as an EC during the interview or as a part of an overal subjective score). The primary issues is that overall it won't compensate particularly well for problems with GPA in undergraduate which is probably the biggest barrier overall to getting in to med school

hello

thanks in advance

Some schools offer extra points if you have a Masters, or Ph.D. Others don't.

However, there are many benefits. You (usually) get to work in a team environment. It shows you are dedicated and passionate about science. It shows that you are curious. Your presentation skills will increase (proposals, defences). You will meet a lot of great scientists/researchers. You will go to conferences (usually in north america, sometimes worldwide), and interact with people dedicated to research in your field of study. Your thesis will most likely get published.

If you can do something medically related, even better. It shows you are striving to solve problems related to health.

Three of my friends are finishing up their masters in biomedical physiology and kinesiology, and I work in the lab with all of them. My information comes from talking to and interacting with them.

Two of them are accepted into med school, and the third is waitlisted.

hello

thanks in advance

Mbiotech, at UTM?

thanks for all the answers

yup

ya I thought so. I was in that program for about a year in 2009.. absolutely hated it and withdrew. If your end goal is med school, I would argue that Mbiotech at UTM will set you BACK. So far, the hardest days at my med school was no where near as ridiculous as the mbiotech curriculum. I hated absolutely every part of it. Honestly, if I were you, I'd reconsider. Getting good grades in that program is like near impossible (unless you are some kind of genius - incidentally, they exist in that program)... There's no time to study at all, the final exam is literally the very next day after your last lecture. Very badly designed.

Not to mention, some of the profs there are absolutely horrible human beings.. JP.. an @sswhole if I ever saw one.

And o ya, don't expect to get a good Masters GPA out of it.. you'll most likely sink. It ruined my perfect transcript of straight undergrad As...

The M.Biotech program at UTM is valuable in terms of getting a sweet job after you complete the program. But, I don't think it will really help you for med school. A traditional research based masters might be more helpful to get you some publications.

Archived