Premed 101 Forums

does it even matter which Medical School?

Let's say you have a father or uncle that is a family doctor or surgeon, is it possible to have them accept you for your residency in Canada. I know it's a blind match but if you rank each other high? Am I way off base?

Ummm... no.

I'm pretty sure you are ranking academic institutions that offer residency programs.

Unless your uncle or father is a surgeon in an academic program that offers a residency training program I don't think you can be "matched" together.

At least, that's how I understood CaRMs to work.

You can work it out.

This link shows how many students who graduated from school X are in residency in Canada.

This link shows how many students are at that school in total.

For example, the second link shows that there are an estimated 650 Canadian IMGs studying in Ireland. The first link shows that in 2010-2011, there were 143 residents in Canadian residency programs who got their MDs in Ireland. Compare that with SGU, where there are a similar number of students there (660) but only 36 residents.

wow! theses stats make it seem really hard to come back. Well i think i will be doing a masters and giving it a go and then see from there on!

thanks a lot guys .

Move to Alberta or the Maritimes (you just need to be there for 1 year before the start of classes). Or better yet, the Yukon - you will be in IP at Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC. Lol I seriously considered going to the Yukon if I didn't get in this year. It's just unfair if you are from Ontario, especially the GTA. The odds of getting in are just so much higher everywhere else in Canada. If you look at the students going to Carribeans, Austrailia, etc., 90% of them are from the GTA/Ontario.

Move to Alberta or the Maritimes (you just need to be there for 1 year before the start of classes). Or better yet, the Yukon - you will be in IP at Saskatchewan, Alberta, BC. Lol I seriously considered going to the Yukon if I didn't get in this year. It's just unfair if you are from Ontario, especially the GTA. The odds of getting in are just so much higher everywhere else in Canada. If you look at the students going to Carribeans, Austrailia, etc., 90% of them are from the GTA/Ontario.

THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!! THANK YOU!!!!

Finally. Someone recognizes the pain from being in the GTA.

I'm ready to move to Calg.

But don't go to school if you move to the Maritimes, or it doesn't count. I was there for 4 years doing my PhD and that didn't make me IP for Maritime schools. And yeah, moving to the Yukon would seriously hook you up with IP status. Plus I hear it's awesome up there.

But really, you should all move to Calgary. I hear that's where all the cool people are moving. Except ParaD, because Erk wouldn't help him move.

But don't go to school if you move to the Maritimes, or it doesn't count. I was there for 4 years doing my PhD and that didn't make me IP for Maritime schools. And yeah, moving to the Yukon would seriously hook you up with IP status. Plus I hear it's awesome up there.

But really, you should all move to Calgary. I hear that's where all the cool people are moving. Except ParaD, because Erk wouldn't help him move.

I read somewhere that if you worked as a TA or RA you would gain residency status. Did you not do this during your PhD is what I read untrue?

I read somewhere that if you worked as a TA or RA you would gain residency status. Did you not do this during your PhD is what I read untrue?

I did work as a TA and RA, but when I checked with Dal the criteria they used for single independent students was that you had to have lived in Nova Scotia for 12 months without being a full-time student, and my department defines us as full-time regardless of what we're actually doing. Plus they say you can't claim IP status anywhere else if you're claiming IP status for Nova Scotia, and I figured I didn't have too good a chance at Dal anyway so it wasn't worth investigating any further if it meant having to give up my IP status in Alberta.

I just looked at Dal's website again, and this is how they decide if you're a Nova Scotia resident:

http://studentloans.ednet.ns.ca/loaninfo_2011-12/loan-amounts

So if you were there for 12 months but only went to school part time, it looks like maybe you'd be okay.

Wasn't ParaD of the female gender? :S

Yeah that thread was hilarious about the moving thing :D

Archived