Premed 101 Forums

Help finding examples

bilirubin3

Hey guys I am having trouble thinking of examples for buisness-related prompts. I was particularly stumped with this prompt:

"In the buisness world, loyalty is based on self-interest rather than principle"

Any suggestions for examples to use on this prompt or in general?

Hey guys I am having trouble thinking of examples for buisness-related prompts. I was particularly stumped with this prompt:

"In the buisness world, loyalty is based on self-interest rather than principle"

Hey Bilirubin,

You can come up with hypothetical examples, and need not come up with real examples. It is assumed that the marker of your essay will not know all examples in the real world, particular examples that are Canadian, and will assume you are making stuff up.

As long as you make up examples which satisfy your condition, you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

J

Hey Bilirubin,

You can come up with hypothetical examples, and need not come up with real examples. It is assumed that the marker of your essay will not know all examples in the real world, particular examples that are Canadian, and will assume you are making stuff up.

As long as you make up examples which satisfy your condition, you should be fine.

Hope that helps.

J

Your mark won't be as high if you use hypothetical examples as opposed to real life examples. One thing you can do is come up with a hypothetical example and then wikipedia it to see if something similar to your hypothetical example actually happened. Chances are you can find something. check out this youtube station. It has helped me out quite a bit with this section.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MCATStrategy

"In the business world, loyalty is based on self-interest rather than principle"

You have first figure out what the prompt is saying before you proceed with examples.

The prompt says: people are loyal to a business because they get something good out of it, it benefits them in some way to be loyal. e.g. They remain loyal to their cell phone companies because they get an iPhone or a Blackberry for $0.01 if they sign up for 3 years and stick around for those 3 years. They don't sign up for three years because they are necessarily good, righteous people and want only to help out the company. They do so because they derive some benefit in someway from being loyal. They are therefore demonstrating loyalty out of self-interest, they're being loyal because they are watching out for themselves.

You can take it a bit further and say, "Well, this isn't always the case because..." Because, not everyone is loyal to a business cause they want to get something out of it for themselves. You like Apple? Fine, let's talk Apple. For example, Apple has employees called Geniuses. They love their job, and they were hired because they were the type of people who, when they found something they liked, they became passionate about it, and they were devoted to it. They remained loyal to the business, not because they got something out of it, but because they respect the company for giving them a job and they love the products, and they want to give back to the company by being faithful. Despite being offered more money to work elsewhere, these guys stuck around to help Apple customers at the Apple stores. You might think these guys do get some perks, and stick around for them, but the perks aren't really that great, being 15% off products. They would have paid full price anyway, so that point is moot. Furthermore, this guy, Jerry, stayed late at the Toronto location to give help to customers after he was off the clock during the Christmas rush. He did not get paid, and remained loyal to his company working an additional 2.5h after closing just to help out Apple customers who had just bought an iPhone...etc...

Your mark won't be as high if you use hypothetical examples as opposed to real life examples. One thing you can do is come up with a hypothetical example and then wikipedia it to see if something similar to your hypothetical example actually happened. Chances are you can find something. check out this youtube station. It has helped me out quite a bit with this section.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MCATStrategy

How will they know if its real or not?I mean if we talk about Canadian politics (whether real or fake), I doubt the marker will know that subject, as most markers are American, and I doubt they are going to take off marks for examples that they don't know, I'm sure they don't know EVERYTHING. I mean not all of us have rich backgrounds in history. As long as the example makes sense, and explains the scenario adequately, I think it should be fine. BY hypothetical examples, I mean making up stuff (actual names)...

How will they know if its real or not?I mean if we talk about Canadian politics (whether real or fake), I doubt the marker will know that subject, as most markers are American, and I doubt they are going to take off marks for examples that they don't know, I'm sure they don't know EVERYTHING. I mean not all of us have rich backgrounds in history. As long as the example makes sense, and explains the scenario adequately, I think it should be fine. BY hypothetical examples, I mean making up stuff (actual names)...

I assumed the difference between a hypothetical example and a real one was that you can be more specific with a real example (dates, names, etc.) but if you are making up dates and names then that's a different story. They probably wouldn't take off marks if they thought it was a hypothetical example, but if instead you wrote a real example that was well known but wasn't the stereotypical example, instead of a hypothetical example they would probably give you a higher mark. Just my opinion though. I'm definitely not an expert on the subject lol

Archived