Premed 101 Forums

Brand New Pre-Med Student

Hello, I am going to University this fall and want to attend a medical school afterwards. I am seeking some advice ( like course selection, labs, volunteer, research etc.) and strategy that would help me apart from my hard work.

And I am in Western Canada, so University of Victoria would be a good university for pre-med or University of British Columbia?? :confused:

Thank You for ur time!! :)

Hello, I am going to University this fall and want to attend a medical school afterwards. I am seeking some advice ( like course selection, labs, volunteer, research etc.) and strategy that would help me apart from my hard work.

And I am in Western Canada, so University of Victoria would be a good university for pre-med or University of British Columbia?? :confused:

Thank You for ur time!! :)

When thinking about medical school in Canada the important thing to remember is your grades are the most important thing.

Don't worry about the school you go to- just get good grades and participate in extra curriculars that you like. Do well on the MCAT and you'll put forward a solid application.

As for course selection... UBC has a set of pre-reqs that you should check out on their website. Statistically you have your best shot at schools where you are an in province applicant (have residency in that province) so if you have only lived in BC then UBC would be your best shot. If you get very good grades or a high MCAT score you will have a good shot at several other schools.

Take a look at the different school websites to verify pre-requisites required, but generally you are looking at a first year of; Biology, Chemistry, English and a couple other courses- you can take physics, math, psych, sociology...

Also, think very carefully about what you want to major in... don't feel the pressure to fit yourself into a neat little package that you think med school might like. Most, if not all schools in Canada are open to any degree provided you meet the GPA, MCAT or pre-requisite cutoffs. Not everybody majors in physiology or pharmacology... just do what you like.

Good luck!

When thinking about medical school in Canada the important thing to remember is your grades are the most important thing.

Don't worry about the school you go to- just get good grades and participate in extra curriculars that you like. Do well on the MCAT and you'll put forward a solid application.

As for course selection... UBC has a set of pre-reqs that you should check out on their website. Statistically you have your best shot at schools where you are an in province applicant (have residency in that province) so if you have only lived in BC then UBC would be your best shot. If you get very good grades or a high MCAT score you will have a good shot at several other schools.

Take a look at the different school websites to verify pre-requisites required, but generally you are looking at a first year of; Biology, Chemistry, English and a couple other courses- you can take physics, math, psych, sociology...

Also, think very carefully about what you want to major in... don't feel the pressure to fit yourself into a neat little package that you think med school might like. Most, if not all schools in Canada are open to any degree provided you meet the GPA, MCAT or pre-requisite cutoffs. Not everybody majors in physiology or pharmacology... just do what you like.

Good luck!

one more quick question: I was looking at the first year courses and found that there are more than one physics (or any other subject) courses, so if I want good grades, should I take the easiest one to score better. Although I am eligible for all and have early registration preference?

one more quick question: I was looking at the first year courses and found that there are more than one physics (or any other subject) courses, so if I want good grades, should I take the easiest one to score better. Although I am eligible for all and have early registration preference?

Take the easiest one.

Take the easiest one.

At my university and several others that i know in Ontario have a easy physics and a harder physics.

Here, the easier physics implies to be grade 12 equivalent and the harder physics is the actual university level physics.

Some meds(especially US) want the university level physics and not the grade 12 equivalent physics.

If you do well in grade 12 physics even the harder physics should not be a problem, just work hard.

hope this helps :)

You'll have to check with the various schools you want to apply to, if physics is a pre-req... I'm not too sure, but I think certain schools in Canada require one full year of physics as a pre-req to applying. I could be wrong on that.

I remember first year university physics to be relatively easy... in the sense that I didn't work that hard and I did fairly well all things considered. If you took physics 12 you may not get credit for the equivalent course so you should verify with the registrar or faculty of science to ensure you aren't wasting your time.

Not a UVic student here, but first year economics is pretty easy (it's similar at all universities, i.e. Intro to Micro/Macro)

That's funny- all of my friends who took first year econ found it to be a little brutal, just because it was a huge class and bell curved.

If I were going to suggest "easy electives" in first year I would say stick with what you are good at. If you excel at Math... then take a Math course, if you want to take psychology, sociology, anthropology, archeology, earth ocean science, geography, geology... ultimately, you can do well in just about anything provided you put the time and effort in.

Some of those courses might be easier to you because you excel in a particular area... but the stereotypical response would be to take a social science... although I know with my psych classes getting an A- or higher was difficult as it was bell curved so if you were an average student you ended up with 67-70%.

The calendar should outline the appropriate physics course for your program. Most universities have a "physics for life sciences" or something similar, and "physics for physical sciences" or again, something similar. Take the one that is designed for your program.

Hello! I am currently going into my 5th year at UVic, and would be willing to answer any questions you have regarding classes, electives (easy ones!), profs etc. Just shoot me a PM. :)

ETA: I also have quite a bit of info regarding volunteering in Victoria; most of my friends are also pre-med, so we are involved with a wide range of organizations.

Archived