Premed 101 Forums

Physics question

meilin

owner of a warehouse asks an engineer to design a ramp which will reduce force necessary to lift boxes to the top of a 1/2m step. If there is only enough room for a 4m ramp, what is the max factor by which the lifting force could be reduced?

The answer is 8.

I understand to use W=fd since the amount of work doesn't change, and 0.5m to 4 is multiplication of 8. However, could someone draw a picture of what they mean by 1/2m step and 4m ramp? if it was 4m ramp, wouldn't u need to add in the 0.5m step? so increased the distance by 4m + 1/2m or something like that?

thanks

owner of a warehouse asks an engineer to design a ramp which will reduce force necessary to lift boxes to the top of a 1/2m step. If there is only enough room for a 4m ramp, what is the max factor by which the lifting force could be reduced?

The answer is 8.

I understand to use W=fd since the amount of work doesn't change, and 0.5m to 4 is multiplication of 8. However, could someone draw a picture of what they mean by 1/2m step and 4m ramp? if it was 4m ramp, wouldn't u need to add in the 0.5m step? so increased the distance by 4m + 1/2m or something like that?

thanks

omg this is from exam crackers right? I remember doing it and getting it wrong lol

Archived