Premed 101 Forums

Where to live ... even if you're not a med student?

Hey all,

I'm very seriously considering moving to Calg from Vancouver. At 3.67 cGPA (on a 4.33 scale, though very strong upward trend w/ slightly >4.0 last 60 credits), 29Q MCAT (8 PS/11BS/10VR), and above average ECs, I know that I'm still a longshot by Calgary standards. Still, moving to Alberta is a relatively painless way to improve my odds of acceptance into a Canadian medical school, especially given all the uncertainty at UBC this upcoming cycle. I also wouldn't mind at all trying my hand at living in a new city, especially Calgary, and it's something I've been looking into for a while. I've thought about a masters, but at this point I haven't found anything that personally interests me enough to commit another 2 years of my life to, aside from the fact that it's benefit re: getting into medicine remains uncertain.

So, my question is, where a nice place to live in the city? For anyone who's been to Vancouver, I'm looking for something along the lines of Vancouver's westside (i.e., Kitsilano, West Broadway, Main street), Commercial Drive or better yet, the West End. Basically, somewhere that's slightly funky, with a 20something crowd and lots of coffee shops/restaurants/cool bars. This contemporary vibe is especially important, considering I drive a gold '95 Accord and feel an undue psychological desire to offset this fact with my surroundings.

In the interest of unfairly influencing the selection process, easy access to the faculty of medicine's favorite hangout spots would be a total bonus. "Another drink, Dr. Walker?" (totally kidding)

Any advice would be great ... feel free to PM me too.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I'm very seriously considering moving to Calg from Vancouver. At 3.67 cGPA (on a 4.33 scale, though very strong upward trend w/ slightly >4.0 last 60 credits), 29Q MCAT (8 PS/11BS/10VR), and above average ECs, I know that I'm still a longshot by Calgary standards. Still, moving to Alberta is a relatively painless way to improve my odds of acceptance into a Canadian medical school, especially given all the uncertainty at UBC this upcoming cycle. I also wouldn't mind at all trying my hand at living in a new city, especially Calgary, and it's something I've been looking into for a while. I've thought about a masters, but at this point I haven't found anything that personally interests me enough to commit another 2 years of my life to, aside from the fact that it's benefit re: getting into medicine remains uncertain.

So, my question is, where a nice place to live in the city? For anyone who's been to Vancouver, I'm looking for something along the lines of Vancouver's westside (i.e., Kitsilano, West Broadway, Main street), Commercial Drive or better yet, the West End. Basically, somewhere that's slightly funky, with a 20something crowd and lots of coffee shops/restaurants/cool bars. This contemporary vibe is especially important, considering I drive a gold '95 Accord and feel an undue psychological desire to offset this fact with my surroundings.

In the interest of unfairly influencing the selection process, easy access to the faculty of medicine's favorite hangout spots would be a total bonus. "Another drink, Dr. Walker?" (totally kidding)

Any advice would be great ... feel free to PM me too.

Thanks!

you may have better chances as an OOP, just saying; or consider rewriting, a few months to rewrite is definitely less dramatic than changing your scenery

Thanks all for the input!

A couple questions --> is there much difference in cost/demographics (generally speaking) between the different neighborhoods? I came across a couple flickr accounts and I really like the look of Kensignton and Mission. Thanks again guys.

re: epson. Agreed, re-write would be much less dramatic, but the thought of re-doing the MCAT frankly makes me ill, even though I know it may be necessary in the future. Moving to Calgary is only in part (albeit a big part) for medicine; I can also get a transfer with my company out there, and I wouldn't mind a change of scenery. Of course, friends, family and routines are what makes it hard. Basically, I see moving is a relatively passive way to increase my odds of acceptance while also accomplishing some other (life) goals.

I think Mission is only a little more than the rest of calgary; Kensington is a bit more expensive than everywhere else, and the apartments tend to be lower end as a result. Bridgeland is pretty normal, Inglewood is about on par with Mission.

Other nice 'hoods: Eau Claire, Sunnyside (part of Kensington really), Renfrew (part of bridgeland really). Renfrew and Eau Claire have pretty reasonable rents. It's kinda tough to get a place in EC though, they get snapped up fast.

Archived