Premed 101 Forums

moonlighting in ontario as an IM?

Guest copacetic

Guest copacetic

can anyone tell me how this works in Ontario, like how many hours are you permitted to do and things like that. im generally ignorant to how this works.

There are 2 types of "moonlighting" available in Ontario:

- traditional moonlighting - done after you have passed the Royal College exam and have your independent practice licence, usually while you continue residency/fellowship training. You bill OHIP directly, just like everyone else. You work independently, with no supervision, and take on full liability for your work. There is no limit to the number of hours you can do this, as long as it doesn't conflict with your scheduled residency hours, and does not affect your residency performance.

- restricted registration - done after PGY-2 after passing the LMCC part 2. I'm not clear on the details, as I never enrolled in this program, but I believe you need permission from your program director, the opportunities are fewer, and you receive a set stipend rather than OHIP billings. You are supervised by staff that take on the liability for your work.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of restricted registration. The remuneration is not enough to make a big difference in your debt load at that point in time, and concentrating on residency fills most people's schedules. But for those with lighter schedules, it's nice to have the option available, I guess.

Archived