Premed 101 Forums

CMHA RAP Volunteer 20 years or older...

Recently found a great opportunity through Canadian Mental Health Association (CMHA) in Toronto where volunteers are trained as "case aides" to provide community support to people from diverse cultural background.

http://www.toronto.cmha.ca/ct_join_us/volunteer_rap.asp

However, they require a minimum age of 20 to volunteer as case aides. I can see why the age requirement is there, but I was so thrilled at first until I saw "20 years or older" :o

Anyone volunteered in similar programs before? Any interesting experience you would like to share? Planning to join the organization when I'm old enough :P

Also, it would be great if there are similar opportunities that you would personally recommend. Was trying to look for some entry-level volunteering to further enrich my experiences.

Hi OP,

I'm in the GTA area. Try to look up some supportive housing agencies or other non-profit places that work with the CMHA. I was lucky enough to get a job with one of these agencies but I know most of them are always looking for volunteers. What can happen is that you can shadow workers on a case-by-case basis. You won't exactly get to be an assistant, but you will be able to shadow meetings with clients. Maybe even ask CMHA if they know anywhere that is looking for volunteers and would accept people under 20.

Archived