Premed 101 Forums

not another thread about VR....

d0pam1ne

Hey Guys,

I've been struggling with VR for a while, but have started to show improvements. I've been doing ~ 5 passages a day timed, usually one to start me off and pairs and was doing pretty well, getting one or two wrong per passage which by my standard was amazing. I was going through VR yesterday and totally bombed a passage (1/2 the questions wrong) and it really freaked me out! I thought it might just be a one time thing but I tried more passages and was really struggling with them!

All of this kind of freaked me out because I write my MCAT in a month, and I thought my VR had steadily improved all this time (or at least I thought so). Anyways I haven't had much sleep in light of this, and now my study schedule is kinda messed up!

If anyone could offer some words of wisdom or advice, that would be great.

Thanks

I wonder if it is a fatigue thing? I would say that the first step in verbal is learning to really (and I mean really) read the passage. The second step is holding the passage in your mind while answering the questions. Doing this for a couple timed passages at a time helps you learn the technique of reading and answering quickly. Then you are ready for step three, stamina. Doing 5 passages is maybe not enough to prep for the full section. One way I battled fatigue was using old longer form verbal sections when I practiced to try to keep focused longer. Then on test day I was not totally exhausted by the time I was done verbal. I hope that helps...

I wonder if it is a fatigue thing? I would say that the first step in verbal is learning to really (and I mean really) read the passage. The second step is holding the passage in your mind while answering the questions. Doing this for a couple timed passages at a time helps you learn the technique of reading and answering quickly. Then you are ready for step three, stamina. Doing 5 passages is maybe not enough to prep for the full section. One way I battled fatigue was using old longer form verbal sections when I practiced to try to keep focused longer. Then on test day I was not totally exhausted by the time I was done verbal. I hope that helps...

Thanks for the response.

I'd like to think I've improved but I don't know! I usually read the passage (really focus) and then answer the questions without refering to the passage unless I really have to (sometimes I forget the name's of opinions and what not). I just don't know what to think right nowwwww

When I took Verbal Reasoning, I tried to do one passage at a time, every morning when I got up. After work that day, when I was already mentally and physically exhausted I would do another passage. On weekends I would do several passages in a row.

To me, it sounds like you are either not fully recovering between attempts (ie doing 35 passages a week sounds like a lot if you are also doing BS, PS and WS practice sections) or that you are starting to get a little complacent in your answering. It is also possible that a low score made you nervous and now you are doing poorly because you aren't confident in yourself anymore.

My recommendation would be to take a step back, enjoy a day off without studying to let your mind reset and process the information. Get a good nights sleep and eat several healthy meals. Enjoy some physical activity and forget about the MCAT for a little while. Then go back and do another couple passages.

I think you are stressing yourself out, and going kinda nuts. Calm down. Do less VR for a few days, let your brain recover, and try again. Approaching VR calmly is a vital part of doing well. Before each passage, close your eyes, blank your mind, and take three deep breaths (yoga breathing if you know how) while counting to ten. Remember that you are intelligent and logical, and won't have problems with this. Simply letting yourself get mentally twisted up will cause the problems you are having.

Also, I have found that not all practices are created equal. EK is closer to the real MCAT than Princeton, for example; there was a difference of 4 points from my score on the princeton practice exam VR versus my score on the real MCAT.

first time writing the MCAT this summer.. my friend got a 13 on VR and he said it's something you can't study for as it's reading comprehension.. but I've been reading through a lot of threads and people seem to struggle, how much can you actually improve by doing practice questions??

first time writing the MCAT this summer.. my friend got a 13 on VR and he said it's something you can't study for as it's reading comprehension.. but I've been reading through a lot of threads and people seem to struggle, how much can you actually improve by doing practice questions??

Tons. The difference is if you actually take the time to see what you're doing wrong.

Erk, thanks for all the helpful tips so far about the more evil part of the MCAT.

When I click your links below in your sig, I get "report post"...might want to talk to admin/mod bout this

Woops, thanks, I had just CPed the wrong link. Wasn't paying attention. Fixed.

A lot, as long as you pay attention to what you are doing wrong and improve on it. I went from a ~10 on my first practice to a 13 on the actual mcat. With the skill I have now from tutoring it I think I could score higher. Just like anything it can be learned. You can't "study" for VR, but practicing and learning will make you better.

Archived