Premed 101 Forums

Work experience?

Hello

Just had a question about how the U of T admissions committee weighs work experience in the health care field? I am a pharmacist and have worked in various settings (hospital, community, government policy). Does U of T strictly give weight to academic and non academic (volunteer) and research work?

Thanks

To be honest, no one really knows how U of T weighs non-academic portions of your application. My guess would be that it would be under "work" experience that is non-academic; that is worth I think 40% of the pre-interview mark.

+1

Agree with macbook

• 3 weeks later...

If you have some work experience in that particular job field which you want to take up in studies then it would prove to be advantageous in getting admission in that education stream. So, if you would like to opt for job experience then you may look in the online job portals available online or otherwise you can try getting admission in your preferred college if they are not giving any preference to work experience.

As already said, nobody knows how U of T weights work experience, but my guess would be that if it's a valuable experience, that has allowed you to develop relevant or transferable skills, it will be looked upon favourably.

My undergrad extracurriculars were few (though long term) because I worked two part-time jobs at the time (why not get paid for something if you can?). I discussed these both in my essay, and my assumption is that the file reviewers saw merit in what I'd done. Ditto for the full-time work after graduation.

I think time spent in the clinical setting will be an asset for you, just make sure you identify that point and explain why it was a relevant learning experience for a career in medicine.

Hello

Just had a question about how the U of T admissions committee weighs work experience in the health care field? I am a pharmacist and have worked in various settings (hospital, community, government policy). Does U of T strictly give weight to academic and non academic (volunteer) and research work?

Thanks

It all depends on how you portray your work experience. If it was something that helped you with your decision, you should mention that in the application. The UofT application is fairly flexible and I believe that your work experience would be looked at no differently than a research scholarship or other health-care related experiences.

Archived