Premed 101 Forums

Research/Lab Experience

Hi guys,

I have a few questions for you guys regarding what to put in this section.

1. If you were employed in a research laboratory, do you put this activity under Research or Employment?

2. Are you going to include the lab component of University courses under Research/Lab Experience?

Thanks!

Plastic

Hi guys,

1. If you were employed in a research laboratory, do you put this activity under Research or Employment?

2. Are you going to include the lab component of University courses under Research/Lab Experience?

Thanks!

Plastic

1) goes under employment

2) Reasonable to put it under research/lab experience but if there is also an education category I would put it there.

Good luck

1. I would put this under research, but either would be fine.

2. I wouldn't. It is going to look like you are really stretching for app material. They will know from your transcripts what courses are lab based, and would expect a certain amount for your degree. I think it would be viewed as 'filler' and would not be beneficial to you at all. Just MHO.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Plastic

Really? Lab component of university courses under research/lab experience?

Actually, I should clarify. I know of people who had no other lab/research experience and they ended up putting it there but it would seem like a stretch.

One the first point:

At last year's advising session I did explicitly ask about the employment versus research experience and they specified that if that was your job you should put it under employment. The research/lab experience is meant for coop entries and graduate work.

The way I understood it, and it could be completely different this year, is that anything you get paid to do goes under employment.

Lab components that are attached to a class would not be acceptable as reserach/lab experience.

However, I would say that if your job involves research or is somehow involved with Health care/human rights/social services you could make an argument to also include it under diversity of experience if there is something specific from it that you learned/a skill you developed.

The way I understood it, and it could be completely different this year, is that anything you get paid to do goes under employment.

Lab components that are attached to a class would not be acceptable as reserach/lab experience.

+1 Labs that are part of university courses do not go under research/lab experience. The only possible exception would be if you took a research course designed especially for undergraduates to gain experience in some field of research. For example, I know someone who did her undergrad at U of A and she took a special research course in addition to her full course load. Here's the description from the U of A website:

BIOL 299 - Research Opportunity Program in the Biological Sciences

*1.5 (fi 3) (either term, 0-0-3). Research Opportunity Program.

A credit/no-credit course for supervised participation in a faculty research project. Normally taken after completion of a minimum of 30 but not more than 60 units of course weight in a program in the Faculty of Science. Prerequisite: GPA of 2.5 or higher, a 100 or 200 level course in the field of research and consent of department. Normally taken in addition to a full course load.

Hi guys,

Thanks!

Plastic

On the help guide, it says:

"If you were paid as a researcher, it is ok to include the experience in both the Research and Employment History sections."

"If you were paid as a researcher, it is ok to include the experience in both the Research and Employment History sections."

Really? Can I ask what section it says that in the help guide?

Plastic

Hey guys,

So I've been in a lab from May 2010 and did the following activities:

May 2010 - Sept 2010: One project in the summer

Sept 2010 - May 2011: Directed research course doing a different project (with 1 bird species)

May 2011 - Present: Continuing a different aspect of my research project (looking at a different bird species)

Now, my question is, is it okay to list these as 3 separate research activities or should I group the research course with the one I'm doing currently in the summer?

Not sure if there's a correct way but my understanding is that if you worked with different supervisors (or PIs) for all 3 of them, then you can put them as separate entries. Or if your positions were different in all three of them, ie. you were a student for the directed research course but later worked as a hired research assistant for another.

But if you have ongoing commitments from the lab and you have been working on different projects for the same lab/PI from May 2010 to present, then you should put them as one entry but do explain all your projects in the description box.

That's my take on this, hope it helps and that you can find the proper answer. :)

Not sure if there's a correct way but my understanding is that if you worked with different supervisors (or PIs) for all 3 of them, then you can put them as separate entries. Or if your positions were different in all three of them, ie. you were a student for the directed research course but later worked as a hired research assistant for another.

But if you have ongoing commitments from the lab and you have been working on different projects for the same lab/PI from May 2010 to present, then you should put them as one entry but do explain all your projects in the description box.

That's my take on this, hope it helps and that you can find the proper answer. :)

Thanks for the reply! :)

The PIs and lab were actually the same in each case here. However, in the first summer I was a volunteer, then a research course throughout the school year and then another summer of volunteering.

Projects-wise, the first summer of volunteering was a completely different project, but the one from Sept 2010 - May 2011 and May 2011 - Present are relatively identical, except I'm testing things on 2 different species of animals.

No problem!

I think in the help guide, it kind of outlines what is counted as "research" and what is counted for "NAQ".

If that were the case, you might want to put the directed research course under "research", assuming there was a grade involved. For the volunteering part, you could leave that under NAQ, unless your name was published on the papers or you did presentations on the projects etc.

But to be doubly sure, you could email the admin for a more clarified answer. :)

Hey guys, a question about Research and Awards;

Would NSERC USRA be considered as an Academic Award or should I put it in research, or even employment?

Also a 4th year thesis project (but in a course form) can be placed under research I assume?

Thanks a bunch,

Hey guys, a question about Research and Awards;

Would NSERC USRA be considered as an Academic Award or should I put it in research, or even employment?

Also a 4th year thesis project (but in a course form) can be placed under research I assume?

Thanks a bunch,

I put it under academic awards last year.

Does this mean that I can put it in both (I.E., two entries), or does it really mean "either" (I.E., I can choose one or the other)?

Does this mean that I can put it in both (I.E., two entries), or does it really mean "either" (I.E., I can choose one or the other)?

In the past they always made it clear that you couldn't list the same thing in two places, and if you did they were angry about it. But their phrasing is ambiguous and at first glance I thought it meant you could list it twice... I would call.

• 2 weeks later...

The research section is confusing to me. I have two conference abstracts (both which had to be submitted and reviewed before acceptance for presentation at conferences). Both were accepted. I presented one of the posters, and the other was presented by another member of our lab.

So...what are the differences between "abstract", "presentation", and "poster". Help!

The research section is confusing to me. I have two conference abstracts (both which had to be submitted and reviewed before acceptance for presentation at conferences). Both were accepted. I presented one of the posters, and the other was presented by another member of our lab.

So...what are the differences between "abstract", "presentation", and "poster". Help!

abstract = published in an actual journal

poster = poster presentation

presentation = oral presentation

when you present something (poster or presentation) you also write an abstract but it is not really considered a published abstract

Archived