Premed 101 Forums

full course load year or 24 credits .. desperately need help!

Hi,

I just finished my first year at york by taking 24 credits & I didn't get As ..

my question is if I take 30 credits (full course load) .. will I be able to get As .. or should I take 24 credits again but with new well developed study habits ..

Also, if I do take 24 credits, will that hurt me in my application for med schools .. like queens and westerns look at your last full two years study .. im confused :confused: Do all of them take my cummulative GPA into consideration .. I know macmaster does.

Should I take 4 years with each year 24 credits but will that kill my chances of getting accepted to either queens or western ? .. or should I take 2nd and 3rd year with full course load & risk it?

I need help,

Hi,

my question is if I take 30 credits (full course load) .. will I be able to get As .. or should I take 24 credits again but with new well developed study habits ..

Really depends on you

Also, if I do take 24 credits, will that hurt me in my application for med schools .. like queens and westerns look at your last full two years study .. im confused :confused: Do all of them take my cummulative GPA into consideration .. I know macmaster does.

cGPA - Mac and NOSM

wGPA - other schools, but usually with full course load (except maybe Queens, not sure...search function)

Should I take 4 years with each year 24 credits but will that kill my chances of getting accepted to either queens or western ? .. or should I take 2nd and 3rd year with full course load & risk it?

Should take full course load as much as possible for weighting formulas.

I need help,

Answers are above

I know for western, they say they look at your two best years in this link

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/admissions/medicine/index.php?page=requirements

but do they mean .. your best two years with full course load?

read the following -> http://www.ouac.on.ca/docs/omsas/b_omsas_e.pdf

what do they mean by clinical placements??

I know for queen, if I dont take full course load next year .. I kill my chances of getting in .. because it says on their web -> http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/academic_requirements

the applicant will need to have 3 years of full load coursevyears!

Pls, stop talking about weighting formulas .. the only uni that uses this system is UFT .. I heard all the people who get interviewed at UFT have an average not less than 90%

Also, UFT can count your cummulative GPA if you dont have full course load in your four years of undergrad. In fact this info below is picked from FAQ from the uni's website -> http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/faq.htm#prerequ

4) Do I have to carry a full-course load every year to be eligible to apply?

No. Carrying a full course load is only relevant to the weighting formula. Applicants are eligible to apply if they are completing 15 credits by the end of the third year, or 20 credits by the end of the fourth year. Applicants who fulfill these requirements despite not taking a full course load in the regular academic session are not penalized in the evaluation process.

But then another page on the school's website says the following:

"The coherence and rigour of the program of study, and the relative standing of the applicant in that program will be assessed in the interpretation of GPA. Prospective applicants are encouraged to pursue challenging and rigourous courses of study, as this will not jeopardize their chance of successful application."

this is from the General Information section on their web

http://www.md.utoronto.ca/admissions/information/requirements/Undergraduate_Applicants.htm

I think in my opinion, an applicant jeopardize their chance of successful application if they dont have gpa close to lets say 3.85 .. but i dont know the implicit meaning of the sentence "Prospective applicants are encouraged to pursue challenging and rigourous courses of study, as this will not jeopardize their chance of successful application."

it certainly doesnt mean that you need to take full course load

No, it doesn't mean you have to take a full course load in the sense that it won't automatically disqualify your application, but it looks bad because it tells them that if you can't handle a full course load in undergrad, how will you in med school?

Hi,

I need help,

I would make a change in your study habits ! Also if you don't mind me asking what degree are you pursuing?

Hi,

I need help,

Queens only needs 18 credits/year for that year to count.

Western requires 30 credits/year for that year to count.

If you're aiming for western, take a full course load.

Queens only needs 18 credits/year for that year to count.

Western requires 30 credits/year for that year to count.

If you're aiming for western, take a full course load.

can someone confirm this for me, i've done lots of searching and could not find a definite answer but i've read that 18cr/year at queens is only considered full time if youre going to judged on cGPA; however, if you're in the best last two full years, then you would need 24cr/year in those last two years to be considered full time.

I was biomed in first year but then I switched to bio and psych (double major) for the upcoming second year

I had a difficult math course though .. it was Math 1014 .. I dedicate most of my time to do Math 1014 & never had time for bio .. I dont even think you need calculus for US med schools .. I could have taken stats instead ..

Are you sure 18 credits/year for queens?

According to this link,

http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/academic_requirements/credit_requirement

They say they require 3 years of study (fifteen full credits) .. at my uni york,

full credits course have 6 credits, so thats 6*15= 90 .. then 90/3=30 .. so you must have 30 credits per year .. not 18 :D

which is a full course load.

Are you sure 18 credits/year for queens?

According to this link,

http://meds.queensu.ca/education/undergraduate/prospective_students/academic_requirements/credit_requirement

They say they require 3 years of study (fifteen full credits) .. at my uni york,

full credits course have 6 credits, so thats 6*15= 90 .. then 90/3=30 .. so you must have 30 credits per year .. not 18 :D

which is a full course load.

I think that they mean to say that in order to be eligible for Queen's admission, the applicant must have completed, all together, the equivalent of 30 full credits, or 3 full-time years of study (spread over however many number of years).

Also, off another page on their site:

Do I have to have 5 credits in a year to be considered full time?

Any year in which you have completed a minimum of 3 courses in each academic semester will be considered full time. You do not have to carry a full course load to be considered full time.

I was biomed in first year but then I switched to bio and psych (double major) for the upcoming second year

I had a difficult math course though .. it was Math 1014 .. I dedicate most of my time to do Math 1014 & never had time for bio .. I dont even think you need calculus for US med schools .. I could have taken stats instead ..

Why didn't you take MATH1505? You still needed a math for your B.Sc tho.

true math 1505 was way easier than the one I took .. the content covered in Math 1013 was 80% of what was covered in math 1505 .. math 1014 -> made me wanna go crazy! .. a friend of mine took math 1505 & took 84 in it & i have B in both math 1013 & 1014 .. the funny thing is that we r both evaluated the same way under they eyes of the admission committee regardless of how hard my math was --> loool & this is not actually a joke :D

another question .. does the admission committee look at how heavy the course load was in comparing your GPA to other students?

Lets say someone make to the interview stage with a high GPA having 24 credits every year & have taken summer courses too .. & another person with the same GPA but had full course load in his four years? will those two be compared based on reference letters & ECs or will they be compared based on the fact that one person had a full course & so should be admitted & the other shouldn't?

Hi,

I need help,

Actually, if you do take a full course load you actually might get better marks (slight chance) as your not going to be relaxing as much and always be working on course or another, for my first year I took four classes in the fall session and did NOT get an A on them, so I overloaded on the following winter session with 6 classes ( I realized about the UofT weighting formula quite late after my December exam ) I actually started getting As all of a sudden.

Hopefully same works out for you.

Archived