Premed 101 Forums

Applying!

Hi everyone!

This is the first time I'll be applying to Canadian medical schools. I was wondering if the applications are out yet for the next cycle. I've been trying to find them on the websites of various medical schools but I've been unsuccessful. I would like to start working on it soon so they don't pile up.

I was also wondering if the three individuals who are providing you with letters of reference had to fill out any paperwork?

Thank you!

Hi everyone!

This is the first time I'll be applying to Canadian medical schools. I was wondering if the applications are out yet for the next cycle. I've been trying to find them on the websites of various medical schools but I've been unsuccessful. I would like to start working on it soon so they don't pile up.

I was also wondering if the three individuals who are providing you with letters of reference had to fill out any paperwork?

Thank you!

For Ontario Medical School, you apply via OMSAS

Hi everyone!

Thank you!

Applications for 2012 open in early July 2011 on OMSAS (http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/mdprog/admissions.html)... which is fairly soon. My sister is applying this year and she's doing her American applications first because registration via AMCAS opened in May.

As for the letters of reference... what you want to do now is get your referee's to create the actual letters. Once registration opens I believe documentation will be provided where your referee's will be required to fill in information regarding how to contact them... I could be wrong about that. But right now just worry about getting your referee's, and your LORs. Also, I believe you can have more than three LORs... three is the minimum I believe but for some it's also the maximum. Focus on getting three solid LORs then if there are others interested in writing you one it could be nice to be able to pick and choose which ones you think speaks for your character best.

Only UBC is open right now. UBC requires three LoRs if you actually get an interview. Like mentioned, you apply to Ontario schools through OMSAS (which opened in October last year I believe). McGill opened up in September last year and for other schools you just need to look on their website.

For OMSAS you print out the questionnaire form and attach the reference letter. Most schools require your referees to fill out the forms online.

Archived