Premed 101 Forums

2011 Convocation Speech

An update: Dean Baker steps down as dean.

Dear colleagues,

You will find attached a statement released this morning. My sincerest hope is that we can proceed with focusing on the business of the university—teaching, research and service for the public good. I would like to extend my thanks to Dr. Verna Yiu, vice-dean of faculty affairs in the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, for agreeing to serve as acting dean. Dr. Yiu is a capable leader in her own right; the Faculty is in good hands.

Indira

University of Alberta Medical Dean Steps Down

(EDMONTON) – University of Alberta President Indira Samarasekera announced today the resignation of Philip Baker, dean of the Faculty of Medicine & Dentistry, from his position as dean, effective immediately.

“On the request of the provost, and recognizing that it was in the best interests of all parties involved, Dr. Philip Baker is resigning as dean, and I have accepted his resignation,” Samarasekera said.

“It was never my intention to detract from the accomplishments of the graduating class of 2011,” said Baker. “My hope is that the university and the faculty will be able to put this unfortunate incident behind them, and that this will bring closure for the university, the Faculty and my family.”

Baker assumed the deanship on September 1, 2009, and also served as a professor and practicing obstetrician. He will retain his faculty position following a brief administrative leave, with assignments consistent with his academic expertise.

“We have been careful, thoughtful, and deliberate in reaching this conclusion, and our Board of Governors has approved it,” Samarasekera said. She noted that Dr. Verna Yiu, currently vice-dean of faculty affairs in the faculty, will serve as interim dean. A search for a permanent dean will be struck as soon as is feasible.

Archived