Premed 101 Forums

Plagiarism - by the DEAN at U of A

apache

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"He has written more than 200 scientific publications, more than 50 review articles and 14 books. He edits the journal Current Opinion in Obstetrics and Gynecology. His prizes and awards include the 2004 Sir William Liley Lectureship (Perinatal Research Society) and the 2005 President's Achievement Award of the Society of Gynecologic Investigation, the first time this award had been made outside North America. In 2008 he was elected to the Academy of Medical Sciences. "

:eek: :eek: :eek:

If these are truly his accomplishments, what could possibly have gone on in his mind to justify lifting a speech from Atul Gawande and think no one would catch on???

Excellent research, Cerena.

I say Ptooey! He is dishonest and thought his position would protrect him from scrutiny. He is unfit to decide upon acceptances of students or to lead this esteemed institution and must be forced out. He brings discredit to U/A med school and should not remain under any circumstances.

He needs to be removed from his position as Dean for this deceit and dishonesty which is not acceptable.

im having a hard time telling if that was meant to be in any way sardonic..... a rather audacious suggestion to make, wouldst thou not agree?

but either way, while im not sure if i agree about removing him as Dean considering his track record prior to this incident, theres no denying that what he did was, as you said, utterly disgraceful.

As Dean, his reprehensible and inexcusable behaviour reflects upon the institution he represents.

It is a no-brainer that he must go, regardless of his pedigree prior to this matter. Remaining brings discredit upon U/A Medical School. As I see it, there is no choice.

i was lucky enough to be selected to have coffee with him a couple times and honestly can't say anything negative about him, although i think he should undergo some repercussions i don't think they should fire him.

imo, he just made a mistake, maybe he had too much on his plate, personal issues at the time, who knows, people are human and deserve second chances in my view. his track record speaks for itself and shows that this was his first blip. if we sent every person to the hangman for every mistake they made there wouldn't be many of us left :)

I say Ptooey! He is dishonest and thought his position would protrect him from scrutiny. He is unfit to decide upon acceptances of students or to lead this esteemed institution and must be forced out. He brings discredit to U/A med school and should not remain under any circumstances.

If I didn't know the context of the story I would have though that he had had inappropriate relations with a student or committed a major crime after reading your response, sorry, I can't see eye to eye with you on this one ;).

As Dean, his reprehensible and inexcusable behaviour reflects upon the institution he represents.

It is a no-brainer that he must go, regardless of his pedigree prior to this matter. Remaining brings discredit upon U/A Medical School. As I see it, there is no choice.

i was lucky enough to be selected to have coffee with him a couple times and honestly can't say anything negative about him, although i think he should undergo some repercussions i don't think they should fire him.

imo, he just made a mistake, maybe he had too much on his plate, personal issues at the time, who knows, people are human and deserve second chances in my view. his track record speaks for itself and shows that this was his first blip. if we sent every person to the hangman for every mistake they made there wouldn't be many of us left :)

I must say, I completely agree with muse on this matter. I could not have said the last sentence better myself.

Yes, I know the IMF guy too put his institution into disrepute had he remained. However, this is an academic institution preparing students for the practice of their profession with the highest standards. Their role model is no role model with his arrogant dishonesty about which he never gave the slightest thought to being caught. When you live by the sword, you must be preapred to die by the sword. He won't resign but needs to be dismissed.

I'm sorry, but I hardly think these two examples are comparable, the fact that you even mention them in the same paragraph shows that you're unable to take nuance, personal circumstance, and order of magnitude into account. Not everything is as black and white as you make it out to be. I hardly believe you are privy to his internal thoughts and motivations and don't think it's fair of you to judge him until he's given an explanation. Even then, your black and white sense of justice scares me, especially as a future physician who will be treating many "questionable" patients with grey backgrounds. I hope your approach to these patients isn't as neatly classifiable as your approach to justice.

Yes, I know the IMF guy too put his institution into disrepute had he remained. However, this is an academic institution preparing students for the practice of their profession with the highest standards. Their role model is no role model with his arrogant dishonesty about which he never gave the slightest thought to being caught. When you live by the sword, you must be preapred to die by the sword. He won't resign but needs to be dismissed.

Whats your stance on politicans? How about bosses? Everyone misleads and lies - everyone.

I dont condone or support what he did but in the grand scheme of things big deal. He didnt ruin the school. He didnt tar those who have graduated from there and anyone who actually thinks they or the school will be held in contempt for his actions is a sheep. I dont think a person an arsehole because their parents are arseholes. I think a person an arsehole if they are arsehole.

Plagiarism by the Dean of a medical school places the med school and the position of Dean into disrepute! The Dean is held to a higher standard. If a med student applicant of med student plagiarized, he may be expelled, it is unacceptable.

He holds a position of trust and cannot be allowed to hold the position of Dean any longer. Time will tell what will happen.

He tarred the event of those who graduated and cheapened the event for sure. We will agree to disagree on this one.

Whats your stance on politicans? How about bosses? Everyone misleads and lies - everyone.

I dont condone or support what he did but in the grand scheme of things big deal. He didnt ruin the school. He didnt tar those who have graduated from there and anyone who actually thinks they or the school will be held in contempt for his actions is a sheep. I dont think a person an arsehole because their parents are arseholes. I think a person an arsehole if they are arsehole.

Plagiarism by the Dean of a medical school places the med school and the position of Dean into disrepute! The Dean is held to a higher standard. If a med student applicant of med student plagiarized, he may be expelled, it is unacceptable.

He holds a position of trust and cannot be allowed to hold the position of Dean any longer. Time will tell what will happen.

He tarred the event of those who graduated and cheapened the event for sure. We will agree to disagree on this one.

I think, perhaps, you place too much value in a title. Being Dean, President or Prime Minister like that of being a CEO is more about politics than it is about character or qualifications.

I never said i dont think he should resign or be fired. Im indifferent. I just think the assumption that this reflects poorly on the school or the students is silly. Grades werent falsifed and they recieved a quality education so as far as reputation is concerned, big whoop.

Ibut he think, perhaps, you place too much value in a title. Being Dean, President or Prime Minister like that of being a CEO is more about politics than it is about character or qualifications.

I never said i dont think he should resign or be fired. Im indifferent. I just think the assumption that this reflects poorly on the school or the students is silly. Grades werent falsifed and they recieved a quality education so as far as reputation is concerned, big whoop.

True, grades weren't falsified. However, he cheapened, devalued his position and the integrity of his position. This needs to be acknowledged by the suitable punishment. An error is one thing, plagiarism and devaluing the celebration of the current graduates is another. He must be forced to take responsibility for his misdeeds. This is an ethical and a political statement that must be taken by the powers that be at the university.

I'm sorry, but I hardly think these two examples are comparable, the fact that you even mention them in the same paragraph shows that you're unable to take nuance, personal circumstance, and order of magnitude into account. Not everything is as black and white as you make it out to be. I hardly believe you are privy to his internal thoughts and motivations and don't think it's fair of you to judge him until he's given an explanation. Even then, your black and white sense of justice scares me, especially as a future physician who will be treating many "questionable" patients with grey backgrounds. I hope your approach to these patients isn't as neatly classifiable as your approach to justice.

He is meant to be a role model and no longer cuts it. His internal thoughts and motivation are irrelevant. I realize that none of us are perfect, including myself. But for a person - one in his position - to deliberately cheat, and in public - with the expectation that he won't get caught out - does not deserve sympathy or understanding insofar as his actions (including his public words) in the capacity as Dean are concerned.

As a physician, I have no right to judge my patients, nor shall I. A physician who does so is on a slippery slope and best be doing medical administration, remaining far from patients.

I'm gonna go with a 50% chance you are trolling.

If not, this is hardly the HUGE issue you make it out to be. Someone with a clean record makes a mistake on a voluntary speech about graduating. He didn't falsify data, he didn't harm research subjects, he didn't breech privacy. This will have zero effect on UofA's rep. Outside of Canada nobody will hear about this, and those that do won't care, beyond saying a line like "well that was stupid" and will then go back about thier day.

This deserves an apology to the class and maybe the university in general. Possibly a slap on the wrist. But the wider academic and medical community and general public will hardly care and will have forgotten about it the next day.

Honestly, going on and on about how this doc's head deserves to roll and how he's no longer fit to judge admissions makes you sound like one of the first year medical students who is so easily offended, quick to argue and full of righteous indignation. Those people quickly realize once they've been in medicine for a while and have a better perspective on things, what actually requires you fight and what you let slide.

Believe me, as someone who's severely sleep deprived right now and been up for 24 hours all night in order to write an honest 15 page paper for a class I don't even have to take (I'm already in med), I totally am angered at the hypocrisy. However, I've seen students who have committed academic misconduct be let off at the professorial level, and they really turned their act around after a stern warning. I would hope for the same if I made a temporary lapse in judgement after years of honourable service.

He is meant to be a role model and no longer cuts it. His internal thoughts and motivation are irrelevant. I realize that none of us are perfect, including myself. But for a person - one in his position - to deliberately cheat, and in public - with the expectation that he won't get caught out - does not deserve sympathy or understanding insofar as his actions (including his public words) in the capacity as Dean are concerned.

As a physician, I have no right to judge my patients, nor shall I. A physician who does so is on a slippery slope and best be doing medical administration, remaining far from patients.

Wow MD2015, I agree what he did was wrong, but to end his career for it at this stage seems ridiculous. I'm tired of that attitude with political figures, really... there should be some backlash, and rightfully so, but it never fails to amaze me how quick people are to pass judgment.

Now, mind you, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn at this stage that the dean had in fact tarnished himself in the past. These things usually don't just happen for the first time at this level. I think his major punishment should be close scrutiny over his previous works to find out if he has in fact plagiarised academically in the past. That would be appropriately embarassing and shameful, and indicate the breach of trust he's committed.

Archived