Premed 101 Forums

First year bio at uwo

I'm wondering what the differences are between these two first year bio courses at UWO:

Biology 1001A- Biology for Science I/Biology 1002B- Biology for Science II and Biology 1201A- General Biology I/Biology 1202B- General Biology II

Because I'm not enrolled in the faculty of Science I believe that I have the eligibility to enroll in the General Biology course(s)... I'm in the Faculty of Health Sciences (Kinesiology).

The only reason I would want to do so is if it's a lot easier... but not at the expense of learning, because I know that I will need Bio for the MCAT. So if this General Bio will not prepare me as well for the MCAT, screw it. But if it can prepare me reasonably well then I don't see why not.

Thanks everyone, your feedback is much appreciated. Cheers!

I don't think first year bio did squat for me in terms of MCATs...I think... And I took the Biology for Life Sciences...but maybe that's me :$

Bio 1001/1002 covers maybe 20% of mcat bio. So it's not worth it just to take it for the mcat.

OK, so would the two of you say, for the most part, that MCAT BIO is learned primarily from things like taking a course... studying EK... TPR... Kaplan, etc as opposed to first year bio?

Like im sure that taking the easier bio wont be as good for the MCAT in terms of what I'll still have to learn.. but im thinking it wont be much and its kind of a risk reward scenario... and anything that i miss out on in the harder bio course should be accounted for when i study for the MCAT itself....feedback?

thanks for your replies fellas.

***oh and the 1001/1002 is 2 lecture hours and 3 lab/tut hours whereas the gen bio is 3 lec and 3 lab/tut.... so i believe that the gen bio should still be an acceptable bio prereq for all can and american med schools...?***

OK, so would the two of you say, for the most part, that MCAT BIO is learned primarily from things like taking a course... studying EK... TPR... Kaplan, etc as opposed to first year bio?

Like im sure that taking the easier bio wont be as good for the MCAT in terms of what I'll still have to learn.. but im thinking it wont be much and its kind of a risk reward scenario... and anything that i miss out on in the harder bio course should be accounted for when i study for the MCAT itself....feedback?

thanks for your replies fellas.

***oh and the 1001/1002 is 2 lecture hours and 3 lab/tut hours whereas the gen bio is 3 lec and 3 lab/tut.... so i believe that the gen bio should still be an acceptable bio prereq for all can and american med schools...?***

They're both fine as pre-reqs...in my year, the general bio was meant for people who didn't have gr. 12 bio, hence the extra hour to cover more material to "catch them up" so to speak...

Bio for Sciences required high school bio...either way, they're both fine.

Also, in terms of MCAT prep, I wrote mine in 2nd year, and while my 2nd year courses such as genetics, biochem and cell bio helped with a good portion, I learned most of the human anatomy and phys stuff through examkrackers and high school notes. The 2nd time I wrote it, after 3rd year, I barely had to study for the BS section because of my human phys and histology courses, plus the prep from the year before.

In any case, at least after first year, I think a lot of the bio stuff will have to be self-taught...

They're both fine as pre-reqs...in my year, the general bio was meant for people who didn't have gr. 12 bio, hence the extra hour to cover more material to "catch them up" so to speak...

Bio for Sciences required high school bio...either way, they're both fine.

Also, in terms of MCAT prep, I wrote mine in 2nd year, and while my 2nd year courses such as genetics, biochem and cell bio helped with a good portion, I learned most of the human anatomy and phys stuff through examkrackers and high school notes. The 2nd time I wrote it, after 3rd year, I barely had to study for the BS section because of my human phys and histology courses, plus the prep from the year before.

In any case, at least after first year, I think a lot of the bio stuff will have to be self-taught...

great info, thank you so much. i think im gonna take the gen bio... i know people will probably laugh in my face for doing it but i dont give a poop what people say about me anymore...im the captain haha.

Thanks a lot, i appreciate your time and effort. cheers

The material covered in general is not the same as the other bio, also I heard the profs in the general are really boring (i.e. read slide-by-slide of their ppts). The other bio has some good profs and they cover some interesting topics, I would recommend that if you enjoy bio.

The material covered in general is not the same as the other bio, also I heard the profs in the general are really boring (i.e. read slide-by-slide of their ppts). The other bio has some good profs and they cover some interesting topics, I would recommend that if you enjoy bio.

Yeah, even though I didn't find it helpful for MCATs I did enjoy the course...I've heard in the other course they go really slowly, as if the kids were somehow dumb (which they're not)...

And Maxwell is such a cool prof!

Choosing Bio 1001 / 1002 just for the sake of MCAT might not be a good idea because they cover only about 20% of it. You should seek better options.

I have to agree with everyoen saying not to take Bio for the MCAT. There is not much taught in that course that pertains to the MCAT bio, and much that is, will be taught again in 2nd year anyways in things like Biochem or genetics. If you're planning to take the MCAT after 2nd year one that is kind of helpful is Human Physiology 2130.

Archived