Premed 101 Forums

Textbooks/Equipments for 1st year.

Hi, I'm wondering if anybody could provide a list of textbooks/equipments needed for 1st year med at Queen's. It'd be even nicer if someone can tell us which ones are necessary and which ones aren't. :D

Thanks a million!:o

Apparently there will be a sale in the first week of September for equipment (I guess used by the upper years) and the 2nd years will tell us about the books and equipment they actually needed

Damn, that's smart...unfortunately there don't seem to be that many active Queen's upper years on pm101 compared to other schools (we'll change that btw)

I do know that rmorelan mentioned that for UWO, he really only needed the stethoscope and reflex hammer...

Damn, that's smart...unfortunately there don't seem to be that many active Queen's upper years on pm101 compared to other schools (we'll change that btw)

I do know that rmorelan mentioned that for UWO, he really only needed the stethoscope and reflex hammer...

Haha I'm in for changing that. We'll be cheerleaders for Queen's for next year's cycle.

Hmm, since I'm sticking around in Kingston I can take a look in the Campus Bookstore and see what books are sold for first year medicine (they're usually arranged and labelled nicely indicating which courses they are for). I'll report back with some ISBN numbers, titles, and prices :)

Hey guys,

I would wait out on the textbooks till you have your first classes in September. Most of us ended up buying just Anatomy (any version that works for you) for first term. The lab flipbook with images is also good (although that is online). Some of us bought the histology book, but it really isn't needed. I think I opened it once. You can borrow it from the library if really necessary. As for the rest of the books on the list they send out, you can make a decision after to see if it will help or not. Mostly the powerpoints are sufficient enough. Hope that helps.

• 9 years later...

Hi, this is a super old thread but seems to be the most recent/relevant one I can find on this topic.  I'm wondering if any current Qmed students can share what are the required or suggested textbooks for histology, anatomy and pharmacology.  Or, are there any other resources that you found especially useful ?(specific anki decks, youtube videos, etc.) Thanks!  

17 minutes ago, anon24 said:

Hi, this is a super old thread but seems to be the most recent/relevant one I can find on this topic.  I'm wondering if any current Qmed students can share what are the required or suggested textbooks for histology, anatomy and pharmacology.  Or, are there any other resources that you found especially useful ?(specific anki decks, youtube videos, etc.) Thanks!  

None, don't worry about it til you're in. You will find what you need, only thing most people buy is the small anatomy booklet from upper years to help prep for anatomy labs/bell ringer.