Premed 101 Forums

Hours per week for CREMS?

Anyone here involved with the CREMS 20-month research program? What kind of hours/week are you putting into research? Do you find it to get in the way of studying?

To be honest it really depends on how focused you are and what your goals are. Some do 3-4 hours a week, however there are people in my class who come in during the weekends and put7-10 hours a week, and then most people in the 20 Month CREMS don't do anything at all until summer time simply because the MD program is too demanding.

I'm in the 20 month CREMS thingy, and usually I put 5-7 +/- "whatever goes" hours a week and then in summer its full blast non-stop to get everything u can.

I know it's not the answer u were looking for, but with research this is usually the answer.....

Cheers :)

On a related note..

If you do the 20 month CREMS, are supervisors forgiving about taking a vacation during the summer? Say one month?

cold honest answer: (I know, no 1 likes to hear this but) .....supervisors are probably annoyed or pissed off when you take a whole month off since during the school year most people get squat done. To be serious about research, I'd say 20 hours per week is a minimum committment, especially if u want to publish or do soemthing decent with it. And there's just no time to get serious work done during academic year because of tests, exams, labs, hospital work, on top of the 40 hours committed to class/pbl sort of stuff....

But if ur supervisor is the relaxed type (not many of those hanging around) then yah i'd say take ur time with everything........

But yah, I'd bargain for a few weeks (no matter how tough) since CC3 is right around the corner for the 2nd years...

• 3 weeks later...
On a related note..

If you do the 20 month CREMS, are supervisors forgiving about taking a vacation during the summer? Say one month?

Yes and no. You might be able to work out something on the downlow, but technically you have to attend the seminars etc. and so may find it difficult to disappear for an unbroken one month vacation.

For what it's worth the 20 month CREMS thing is good if you know you want to do research 100% and have a good project, but it also really limits your options as almost all of the free time in which you might pursue other things (e.g. shadowing, traveling, a rural medicine elective, etc.) is spoken for. Consider carefully how much time you want to sign away up front, as you have to commit fairly early on unfortunately.

Archived