Premed 101 Forums

Not exactly sure what you're trying to do... If you buy a car here and try to register it with an Ontario plate you'll have to pay for an out-of-province inspection, and if it's a new car you'll have to pay the additional sales tax. Then you have to worry about the legality of being a full-time resident of Alberta and using an out-of-province vehicle. If you buy it in Ontario and register it here you'll still have to pay for an out of province inspection. Why not save the headache and buy an older car in Calgary and insure it with liability only? I pay ~$550/yr for my 10 year old VW through AMA. Alberta registration is ~$85.

if im not mistaken, you're referring to the difference between title (ownership) and registration (allowance to operate a motor vehicle on a public road).

what you can do is buy the car here under your parents name and then have it registered under your name, in alberta. so you have alberta plates and its registered to you (i think you need to convert your ontario license to an albertan one), but title/ownership is under your parent's name and so its not listed as an asset for OSAP.

Archived