Premed 101 Forums

There's quite a few UBC, SFU, and other post-secondary students that have been IDed on-line as taking part in the riot (vandalism, looting, etc). It seems members of the public have been e-mailing officials at these schools asking if there will be punishments. An official at UBC said it's far too early to know how it will be handled by the school, though he hinted there will most likely be some sort of discipline. Do you think this will be a problem for any students looking to enter medical school?

I know of at least one SFU student who has been IDed on-line who was thinking of going for UBC Med. Do adcoms do google searches of applicants' names?

I doubt many pre-meds were involved, but with the public backlash, I'm interested in how UBC handles this situation.

My bet is that they allow you to apply, but if you have a criminal conviction, like a misdemeanour for taking part in the riots, then the CPSBC may not grant you full licensure or outright reject your admission when you send in your criminal record check in the summer after you're accepted (if you are accepted). There is a list of offences on the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General website that is relevant to licensure as a medical student and physician. Offences like assault, causing bodily harm with intent, theft, robbery, breaking and entering, possession of stolen goods, possession of break-in instrument, and arson are all relevant to the riot and are all relevant offences to the criminal record check of a medical student or physician.

My bet is that they allow you to apply, but if you have a criminal conviction, like a misdemeanour for taking part in the riots, then the CPSBC may not grant you full licensure or outright reject your admission when you send in your criminal record check in the summer after you're accepted (if you are accepted). There is a list of offences on the Ministry of Public Safety and Solicitor General website that is relevant to licensure as a medical student and physician. Offences like assault, causing bodily harm with intent, theft, robbery, breaking and entering, possession of stolen goods, possession of break-in instrument, and arson are all relevant to the riot and are all relevant offences to the criminal record check of a medical student or physician.

Relevant

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPQOQsLUW60&feature=player_embedded

Yep. His father is a surgeon in BC as well. You can bet his son had some interest in medicine and now he's at risk of expulsion from UofC.

How does a Med school even handle expulsions? Would it affect your academic score or would they have a special interview with the student?

How does a Med school even handle expulsions? Would it affect your academic score or would they have a special interview with the student?

Getting expelled from high school probably wouldn't matter... Provided you got into a university/college.

Getting expelled from university might impact your eligibility.

Archived