Premed 101 Forums

Would you put this on your CV for CARMS?

Hey All,

well the time has finally come to start thinking about CARMS. I just wanted to get everyone's opinion about whether or not to include the following on a CV:

I originally was admitted to Medical School as an MD/PhD student, but withdrew from the program after my first year because I realized it was not for me (I had a suspicion I was leaning towards clinical medicine, and realized that without completing clerkship, I'd have no idea what field I wanted to go into, and hence what to research). I was awarded a CIHR grant to do this.

Do you think it would be wise to include this on a CV? Or would it just generate more questions or negative implications than good?

Many, many thanks all.

Guest copacetic

i wouldnt. raises to many questions. now granted i dont think starting an md/phd and changing is in itself a bad thing and i dont think that it will inherently hurt you, but its a can of worms thats simply best left alone. leave it out of the app, perhaps bring it up in the interview if you think it might help at some point in discussing personal growth or something, but leave it out of the app. my two cents. cheers.

See I would do the opposite.. It only shows that you've grown and learned things about yourself along the way. And that your realized you really wanted to do clinical. I quit my PhD program after 2 years (in another domain), and it shows in my records as it was in the same uni I'm going to in the fall. It came up during MMIs, and no one raised eyebrows because I had very good reasons to do so.

I'd have to agree w/ Alastriss on this one. CIHR grant for MD/PhD is quite an achievement on it's own, but different programs will have different thoughts about it. I'm sure if you were admitted to MD/PhD stream, research committment /excellence has already been demonstrated throughout your career and will not be lacking. I would focus hard on the ref letter/electives and other components. But either way, I'm sure your decision will reflect what you want most for "YOURSELF (which to me is the most important thing)".

I applaud you for returning to the MD stream before doing the phD, many people are stuck in this "indecisive point" and are afraid to speak up. I'm glad you did.

best of luck.

I totally respect that sometimes priorities change - and they do. It's completely fair to act on your personal preferences to move towards the future you see for yourself. The way I see it, what good will this do to you if you do mention it? As far as CaRMs is concerned, there are a lot of other more important things (reference letters, electives) that are going to be more pivotal in the committee's decision making than a CIHR grant (which is very impressive). I'm also assuming that if you are of the caliber to get into a tough MD/PhD program and get this grant you probably have demonstrated your aptitude in research throughout your pre-clerkship years.

I think you will get mixed answers, so it might just be up to you. I know the one program I'm interested in don't like it when students start something they don't end up finishing. Other programs will understand that your priorities change and will applaud you for it. It's difficult to tell whether you'd win or lose because it's all about perspective and opinion, and for all we know, you might end up 'winning' some places, and 'losing' at others.

I wouldn't mention it, especially in the research heavy programs (Toronto, ubc etc.)

You won't really gain anything from talking about it, and you risk looking like you aren't committed to what you do.

Unless specifically asked, only mention things that can only make you look good.

I would talk to your school about this.

Being awarded a CIHR grant is something that may help you - but isn't going to make or break you.

I have always been told to list all scholarships/grants received even if not accepted (for whatever reason - can only hold one major scholarship at a time etc). So they are listed on my CV but instead of where the date it, it states "declined"

I am not sure what to do in your case - because I guess you accepted it, but then declined it?

In any case - I would think the fact that you were in an MD/PhD program to start with is going to show up on your transcript somehow? So I wouldn't try hiding the fact that you transfered out. That also, isn't going to impact your carms app.

Again, I would talk to your advisor at your school

Good luck

Archived