Premed 101 Forums

5th (special) year ownage

So my course registration is on the 22nd but apparently most classes won't be open for me because im a special student till August 26th!! This could be killer bc all the courses I want/need might be filled.

Anyone else who's doing/did a 5th year know how big of an issue this could possibly be in terms of not getting the classes u want etc?

I took a special year last year and it was a slight problem for me. I was able to get into most of the courses I wanted but it required some extra work on my part. You can often get special permissions to enroll in classes before they fill up by talking to the professor that teaches the course. I found talking to the professors much more helpful than talking with administrators. Many of the academic counselors refused to give me permission, but most professors were more than happy to add me to their classes when I explained my interest in their courses.

I took a special year last year and it was a slight problem for me. I was able to get into most of the courses I wanted but it required some extra work on my part. You can often get special permissions to enroll in classes before they fill up by talking to the professor that teaches the course. I found talking to the professors much more helpful than talking with administrators. Many of the academic counselors refused to give me permission, but most professors were more than happy to add me to their classes when I explained my interest in their courses.

oh thats a good idea, Ill start sending out email today and hopefully the profs can hook it up. But what is the next step to enroll in the course once u have the profs permission? Get them to email the academic councelors?

Sure! People seem to be a little concerned with DE courses lately - is there a reason for that?

You just have to follow the normal rules outlined for a special year.

UWO Meds doesn't have a problem with DE courses. I don't know why people are so concerned about that either.

Archived