Premed 101 Forums

pace of the curriculum at uOttaw med

i was just wondering if current med students could comment on the pace of the curriculum at uOttawa med? after the interviews, the admin staff gave a presentation about the layout. i was happy to see that we have 3-4 hrs of lecture everyday, and that the remainder of afternoon and evenings are free to study, do electives...etc.

i was just wondering, given that it is a four year program, is there sufficient time to study and get through the course material, or do profs just blast you with information to learn every single lecture?

thanks.

Some lectures are better than others. There's a couple you'll walk away from awe-struck haha.

However, you're given more than enough time to study in your schedule and as you gain experience with both the material and the exam format you'll realize what is worth your time and what isn't.

Medicine is a different type of learning than undergrad. Very little is truly difficult, but the sheer volume is huge. There is a much greater emphasis on prioritizing the important stuff rather than just studying everything.

If you're like me, you'll go into every exam feeling much more unprepared than you did in undergrad but always come out with a mark you're ok with regardless.

Some lectures are better than others. There's a couple you'll walk away from awe-struck haha.

However, you're given more than enough time to study in your schedule and as you gain experience with both the material and the exam format you'll realize what is worth your time and what isn't.

Medicine is a different type of learning than undergrad. Very little is truly difficult, but the sheer volume is huge. There is a much greater emphasis on prioritizing the important stuff rather than just studying everything.

If you're like me, you'll go into every exam feeling much more unprepared than you did in undergrad but always come out with a mark you're ok with regardless.

thanks.

is the program pass/fail? or do you get an actual mark?

Yes pass has always been 60% even before dropping honours. It was just 60% pass and 80% honors before.

You have ample time to study, it seems like most of the students just study way more than necessary.

i am glad there is time to overstudy. the worst feeling was always opening up an exam booklet and knowing i had not studied enough.

Archived