Premed 101 Forums

Prereq Average

I read that the prereq average only takes into account 5 UBC credits of general biology, 6 UBC credits of general chemistry and 6 UBC credits of english.

Due to personal issues, my showings in first year general biology and chemistry courses were rather poor. As a result, my prereq average is only 71%.

Should I take 6 credits of first year english, in an attempt to bring up my prereq average?

I currently have english credit due to AP.

Thanks Mithril. You're right, hearsay's not really the most helpful thing. I guess I'm just trying to stay updated because I'm painfully aware that I'm not one of those super impressive/competitive applicants.

I recalculated the average and got pretty much the same thing, around 71%. (My F in Chem 233 pulls down my prereq average by 5%)

Even if you get 100% in two English classes, your prereq average will less than 77%. If you barely scrape an A+ in both classes, it'll be less than 75%. Last year's prereq average for in-province applicants was 81.5%. If your overall GPA is good, then give it a shot because they changed it so that the academic portion of your application is based on your cumulative GPA and nothing else. You may have a good cGPA if you are eligible for the weighting formula.

where did you hear this from "I read that the prereq average only takes into account 5 UBC credits of general biology, 6 UBC credits of general chemistry and 6 UBC credits of english."

actual source?

When I was rejected pre-interview last cycle they gave me percentages for cGPA, last 60 creds, and prereq average. After calculation, my prereq average (calculated based on all the prereqs UBC mentions on their website) was basically identical to the prereq GPA calculated by UBC.

It is not representitive of 5 UBC credits of general biology, 6 UBC credits of general chemistry and 6 UBC credits of english. I have no idea where this novel concept comes from. As Mithril has mentioned, this idea is heresay and I would not pay any attention to it. Also, UBC is looking at pre-req average post-interview (again as Mith mentioned) Just try your best for now. Hopefully your cGPA and NAQ score will meet interview cutoffs. Good luck!

Archived