Premed 101 Forums

Mac vs UoA

Hello hello,

So I was lucky enough to get off the wait list at the UoA but am already registered at Mac. I'm super stuck. So, I'm going to lay out the facts and if any one has an opinion, experience, or thought...that would be greatly appreciated.

- Am (slightly) older and have been working...think the self-directed learning of Mac would be slightly better for me

- Have no clue what I want to specialize in (UoA)

- All my family & friends & partner are in Edmonton (UoA)

- Went to the UoA (so for me, Mac wins this one then...for a change)

- However, I've been out of town for 3 years so haven't really been home for a while

I think it's one of those fun situations where no decision is bad and no decision is "better"...but if you want to throw in your 2 cents, please do.

cheers.

You got into two medical schools and are on your way to achieving your goal of becoming a Doctor. Where that happens really doesnt matter because both schools are good and will fulfill your needs to your end goal.

This is a decision that impacts both of you so she definitely has a voice in the situation.

I would stick with Edmonton because you have your support network there. I assume you know Edmonton too, like where the grocery store and pharmacy and all that is, so it will make the business of med school that much easier to deal with. Also, you will get the same degree at the end of the day so I would do what you want (ie there is probably to be no major reason to choose one school over the other academics-wise, so go where you would be happiest).

But if you go to U of A, you'll have to put up with jabs about Philip Baker :P Just kidding!

I think choosing to go where you family and friends are is a big plus. I was fortunate to be accepted to all five Ontario schools this year, and ultimately chose to stay close to family and friends. In your case, the 3-year no summers off versus 4 years with summers off is also something to consider. Most people prefer the summers off I think since you can network and work in labs to build up your case for residency matching.

Guest BluePin

I'm not a medical student, however, my partner and I have arranged that if/when I get into (a canadian) school, she chooses which one based on what will be best for her at the time.

Both schools obviously fit your needs to such a degree that you can't decided between them. Go to the one that best suits her/his needs.

Happy wife, happy life.

I'm going to agree that you should probably stick to UofA. being separated from your support network will impact you more than you realize, especially during such a stressful time as medical school. it will be hard to balance a long-distance relationship if your partner does not want to move with you, and not having any time off (3 straight years) will mean you won't even get to see everyone from Edmonton for more than a week at a time.

you're only losing a $1000 deposit. in the grand scheme, that's peanuts. and 4 years will give you an opportunity to really find out which specialty is for you!

congrats and good luck with your decision!

I'm going to agree that you should probably stick to UofA. being separated from your support network will impact you more than you realize, especially during such a stressful time as medical school. it will be hard to balance a long-distance relationship if your partner does not want to move with you, and not having any time off (3 straight years) will mean you won't even get to see everyone from Edmonton for more than a week at a time.

you're only losing a $1000 deposit. in the grand scheme, that's peanuts. and 4 years will give you an opportunity to really find out which specialty is for you!

congrats and good luck with your decision!

These were basically my thoughts as well.

OP, I would pick UofA because of the support network, but that's just me.

I was actually in this same boat in mid May: I was accepted to Mac and UAlberta. For the same reasons suggested in this thread, I decided to stay with Mac because as an Ontario student this is where my support network is.

One point that should be considered is the 3 year vs. 4 year difference in program length. Although UAlberta is cheaper on paper, you will start earning sooner if you go to Mac.

But at the end of the day I would stay with UAlberta in your case; it is a great school that I had trouble turning down. And don't under-emphasize the importance of some consistency amidst a lot of change that is bound to happen.

I literally changed my mind about 10 times in the past 12 hours...and then sat down and talked to a few friends here at the UoA and fam and made decision to stay. so there you are. thanks for all the feedback.

Archived