Premed 101 Forums

Summer volunteering

Thank you, I thought maybe I was missing something. I was looking to find my ortho surgeon's contact a couple months ago but couldn't find anything on the HMR site, went through my team doc to contact him instead. I guess in a way it's good for the docs, but makes it harder for students!

If you are looking at volunteering in any hospital, I would suggest to you to contact them asap b/c, based on past experiences, I’d say these spots tend to disappear pretty fast at this time of the year and the more time you wait, the less choice you would have in terms of what types of position are available (not mentioning the police check and the interviews, which could take months…)

While I don't have any insider information about possible volunteering opportunities in montreal hospitals, i can lend some advice.

make sure that you pick something that you enjoy doing and something that you'd like to stick with for more than just a couple of months. if i've learned anything about the application process, sticking with something for a long time shows dedication and commitment, while having an abundance of shortly lived volunteer activities may hurt you.

keep in mind that whatever you end up doing, it doesn't necessarily need to be in a hospital for it to be valuable.

Archived