Premed 101 Forums

basic questions. any help?

Ok, before I consider a major change in careers I wanted to ask a few basic questions... if any of you can pitch in I would be very thankful

1. Once you graduate from a US medical school (DO OR MD) is it easier to get a residency in the field of your choice in Canada or the US? Which pays better? Has better hours?

2. If you do residency in the US, can you come back to Canada and practice in that area of medicine?

3. Once you finish residency in Canada OR the US. Can you basically choose which location you want to practice (ie Toronto, Vancouver, etc)? Or do you have to stay where you did your residency? How difficult is it to move around?

Any thoughts would be great. I am sorry if I am asking something that is in FAQ. I try to do as much searching etc as possible.

1. Once you graduate from a US medical school (DO OR MD) is it easier to get a residency in the field of your choice in Canada or the US? Which pays better? Has better hours?

You will definitely be able to match to either Canada or USA depending on how competitive of a specialty you want, I don't imagine family medicine or some primary care specialty to be hard to match back to Canada. The issue is getting a school to sponsor you for a H1B visa.

2. If you do residency in the US, can you come back to Canada and practice in that area of medicine?

Yes, you can come back providing you write the licensing exams for the province you are practicing in and provided that the residency lengths are same amount of years (or more) --> can't be less!

3. Once you finish residency in Canada OR the US. Can you basically choose which location you want to practice (ie Toronto, Vancouver, etc)? Or do you have to stay where you did your residency? How difficult is it to move around?

You can find a job wherever you want depending on the field that you are in...some cities are more saturated with certain specialties. But again if you are in primary care, you should have no issue finding a job - in fact, if you opt for a more rural setting, you will definitely have a job. You don't have to stay where you did your residency, but many people might find it easier to stay because you spent the past several years there.

Archived