Premed 101 Forums

UWO Social Science with science electives

ally14

I will be attending my 1st year this fall and I am enrolled in UWO's Psychology course (with plans to specialize in neuroscience). I will be taking biology during the year and then chemistry courses in the summer at U of T (chemistry didn't fit into my schedule for the school year).

I am not taking physics or calculus in university but I have taken grade 12 physics and grade 12 calculus & vectors. I was wondering if I am at a disadvantage to med schools (will I still meet pre-requisites?) if I don't take calculus and physics in university.

I plan on writing the MCAT in my 3rd year after completing the necessary chemistry courses during the summer.

Is it a bad idea to do chemistry in the summer? I was thinking of doing all chem courses that way so they won't affect my GPA for most med schools. Also, since it's the one course I'll be taking, I'll be able to focus more on it since it's not my strongest subject.

Thanks for your help :)

I will be attending my 1st year this fall and I am enrolled in UWO's Psychology course (with plans to specialize in neuroscience). I will be taking biology during the year and then chemistry courses in the summer at U of T (chemistry didn't fit into my schedule for the school year).

I am not taking physics or calculus in university but I have taken grade 12 physics and grade 12 calculus & vectors. I was wondering if I am at a disadvantage to med schools (will I still meet pre-requisites?) if I don't take calculus and physics in university.I plan on writing the MCAT in my 3rd year after completing the necessary chemistry courses during the summer.

Is it a bad idea to do chemistry in the summer? I was thinking of doing all chem courses that way so they won't affect my GPA for most med schools. Also, since it's the one course I'll be taking, I'll be able to focus more on it since it's not my strongest subject.

Thanks for your help :)

Will you be at a disadvantage if you do not take math or physics in university?

Well, only if the school has physics as a pre-requisite to apply. If the schools you are interested in don't require it then no you won't be at a disadvantage. You may have some issues with the Physical Sciences section of the MCAT, but as many others have said- this is supposed to be pretty basic stuff so if you did well in physics/calc 12 and brush up your skills prior to the test you should be ok.

Is it a bad idea to take chem courses in the summer?

Again, this is only a bad idea if the schools you are interested look at summer school courses differently. Also, I'm not sure how it works with other schools but at UBC the summer courses are usually compressed... so they are 4-6 weeks instead of 13. You go almost every day, but in the end you typically learn less material just because of the nature of the course. If you are able to stay focused on the material and push through the daily lectures then go for it.

It's not a bad way to hammer out a few extra credits.

Good luck.

I should reiterate that these are just my personal opinions from the way I understand university and medical school applications.

Oh really?

I was hearing the opposite.

I was hearing that York is really tough in the summer for chemistry and that the average was 40% or something like that.

I guess it all depends on who you talk to.

In any case, I'm not 100% certain I'll be taking it at U of T. My options are U of T, Ryerson or York. I just know for sure that I will take it in the summer.

Archived