Premed 101 Forums

Male doctors with long hair and earrings

anxious_101

So I was just having this discussion with my lab mate and figured I should post this on here.

Are there any stigmas with male doctors sporting styled long hair and earrings? I suppose this image does not fit into the traditional mold of a male physician, but have times changed enough that patients, nurses and colleagues will be indifferent to it?

I am a male and I wear earrings, but did remove them for my med school interviews.

You would probably stick out as a med student a bit, but not so much that it would be bad, IMHO. Once you are an attending I get the impression you can do whatever you like as long as your patients don't complain. I would hope the college would be up to speed on the tattoo/hair/piercings situation, but you never know. They always say things like 'professionalism' and 'medicine is a conservative profession', but I hope that applies only to attitude and actions, not appearance.

I know one med student who has a serious tattoo on her chest and an attending doctor (albeit one who has limited patient contact because of his specialty) who has a pretty awesome long hair/piercings/arm tattoo situation going on. I don't have enough contact with them to know how they are treated, but my guess would be they like being a little different. Although the fact that I remember these individuals in particular would mean they do still stick out...

I would want my patients to be comfortable with my appearance if I'm treating them. As such there are still quite a fair number of patients who would not want or would be uncomfortable with a doctor with a "less than conservative" appearance.

True, but them old fogies are gonna die soon so we can look like we want when that happens.

Kidding people, don't get your panties in a knot!

Well, I don't have long hair but I do have small stud earrings in one ear. I do plan on wearing it throughout med school and beyond.

I personally feel that visible tattoos and piercings other than earrings are unwanted attention and definitely don't jive with the conservative professionalism required in medicine. But, well groomed long hair on males should not be an issue at all in 2011. It might have been even 20 years ago, but I don't think it should be today. IMO.

there's a family medicine resident here who has stretched earlobes you could put 3 fingers through, long hair, and has most of his body tattooed, i'm very liberal about dress but i can't believe they let him go to clinic the way he does.

the answer is, it depends, on the patients, nurses, doctors... age, background, belief system etc.

there's a family medicine resident here who has stretched earlobes you could put 3 fingers through, long hair, and has most of his body tattooed, i'm very liberal about dress but i can't believe they let him go to clinic the way he does.

the answer is, it depends, on the patients, nurses, doctors... age, background, belief system etc.

urkel.gif

there are alot of ppl that can really pull off the medium to long hair look.

eg.

patrick dempsey

those europeans with their hair back

True! My ortho has slighty longer hair than Patrick Dempsey, but it suits him really well and it doesn't look unprofessional at all.

Archived