Premed 101 Forums

Nurse to Doctor

TDRN

So I'm confident that I'm not the first RN considering a transition into medicine and I'm sure this is not the first thread related to that topic, but please bare with me, I'm new on here ;). So I'm currently in graduate school to become a Nurse Practitioner however my passion for Medicine is driving me towards attempting the MCAT and going to MEdical School.

ANyway, not haven taken any or very little of the pre-req's(Physics, CHem), just wondering which courses would be advisable for my preparation. I was told that the physics and chemistry was similar to high school level content so just wondering whether studying the kaplan review books would be adequate enough for the MCAT? My target date for writing is about 14 months away so I def have plenty time available but just looking to avoid having to take all those chem, bio, physics courses if possible considering I'm currently in graduate school full time at the moment. Anyone out there prepare for the MCAT using the review books exclusively? Thank you!

I think you will be okay if you just use the prep books! I redid the mcat 7 years after having taken the prereqs you talk about (and was a grad student full time) and I did fine. I would advise you not to worry too much about taking the right courses if you have the ability you will be able to teach yourself the mcat material in a few months. Be honest with yourself if you are struggling with certain subjects and focus on them... With a little hard work you will totally rock it!

Archived