Premed 101 Forums

Taking a first year language course in 4rth year

I am interested in taking a language course (arabic) in my upcoming 4th year of undergrad. It is a first year course and is a whole 1.0 credit. All my other course are 4th year. My question is, would med schools frown upon taking a first year course in fourth year, also because it is a 1.0 credit, or even because of the subject of the course? Thanks!

I am interested in taking a language course (arabic) in my upcoming 4th year of undergrad. It is a first year course and is a whole 1.0 credit. All my other course are 4th year. My question is, would med schools frown upon taking a first year course in fourth year, also because it is a 1.0 credit, or even because of the subject of the course? Thanks!

As long as it doesn't surpass your taking more than 7.0 first year credits then I think you're fine. If you take more than 7.0 first year courses then they no longer count. So if Arabic is your 8.0 first year credit, then you'd need to take an extra 1.0 course to be a full time student.

As long as it doesn't surpass your taking more than 7.0 first year credits then I think you're fine. If you take more than 7.0 first year courses then they no longer count. So if Arabic is your 8.0 first year credit, then you'd need to take an extra 1.0 course to be a full time student.

Is that Western's rules for the particular UG program? Because as long as the OP graduates at the end of the year Western isn't going to care about 7.0 vs 8.0 courses for med application purposes. They will just look at the transcript and see 5.0 credits for the year in question, with more than 3.0 of them at 3rd year or higher (since the OP is in year 4 they can take either 3rd or 4th year courses to hit the quota ) and say all is well :)

Is that Western's rules for the particular UG program? Because as long as the OP graduates at the end of the year Western isn't going to care about 7.0 vs 8.0 courses for med application purposes. They will just look at the transcript and see 5.0 credits for the year in question, with more than 3.0 of them at 3rd year or higher (since the OP is in year 4 they can take either 3rd or 4th year courses to hit the quota ) and say all is well :)

Hmm....I've been encouraged not to take more than 7.0 and I've switched my faculty twice so its been a struggle not to. I always thought if you take more than 7.0 first year courses the credit stops counting and you need to makeup for your lack of credit with another non-first year course.

Hmm....I've been encouraged not to take more than 7.0 and I've switched my faculty twice so its been a struggle not to. I always thought if you take more than 7.0 first year courses the credit stops counting and you need to makeup for your lack of credit with another non-first year course.

Yeah that could absolutely be the case for the particular program, i.e. in a particular biology program they won't let you count more than 7.0 first year courses towards your degree.

However the med schools don't look at that - no where in the regulations for Western admissions does it say anything (or any of the other schools in Ontario) about a limit on the number of courses per year etc. Western only has two relevant rules - 1) the 60% rule and 2) you have to graduate prior to attending the school :)

Yeah that could absolutely be the case for the particular program, i.e. in a particular biology program they won't let you count more than 7.0 first year courses towards your degree.

However the med schools don't look at that - no where in the regulations for Western admissions does it say anything (or any of the other schools in Ontario) about a limit on the number of courses per year etc. Western only has two relevant rules - 1) the 60% rule and 2) you have to graduate prior to attending the school :)

Oh Whoa. Ya learn something new everyday...

Archived