Premed 101 Forums

Acceptance package

Guest tooks04

Guest tooks04

Hello!

I received my package a couple of days ago and it included some info about registering with the college des medecins quebec. Since I don't plan on bringing my diploma with me I'd like to get this stuff done before I leave. It mentions that the required documents must be certified true copies, what exactly do you have to do to make it a certified true copy?

tooks04

Guest medicator007

Hey tooks,

The registration with the College is a PAIN in the ass. In order to make it a certified true copy someone who is a "Commisioner of Oaths" must see the original and sign the copy to attest that it is indeed a true copy of the document. This needs to be done for all sorts of documents: diplomas, letters of acceptance, photos, etc. McGill has a commisioner of oaths on staff but as you mentioned it is a pain to haul all that stuff into school and then you are stuck waiting on your own to do all that stuff with the other classmates assigned for that one day with the one commissioner.

Alternatively, you can find your own commisioner of oaths (this is what i did, my father and my friends father are both commissioner's so we did an exchange... MUCH more convenient!). Some accountants, lawyers, notaries have the status of a commisioner of oaths.

Hope that helps,

Medicator

Guest LoveMcGill

Hi tooks,

In order to have a certified true copy of a document it must be certified by a qualified person – usually a Notary Public. You must bring BOTH the original and a copy to the Notary. You show the original to the Notary and he/she then stamps the copy as “Certified True Copy”. Having the documents certified by any Canadian Notary Public should therefore be fine – although costly.

If I were you, I’d bring all of the originals with you to Montreal because in September, McGill medical school gets a Quebec Notary Public to do the certification for free. Moreover, the Notary is brought to the same building where your classes are and is scheduled at most convenient times (i.e., lunch brake or right after classes finish). Enjoy first year at McGill Med – tons of hard work but even more fun!

• 1 year later...

Archived