Premed 101 Forums

ANY OOPs get in by just meeting the requirements?

Guest dogeatdog12

Guest dogeatdog12

i have a 3.53GPA, but I would others to comment on how OOPs get in? is there a better chance if I apply to the MD/PhD program?

how many OOPs get in with the bare requirements?

thanks

PS- I think I have NO SHOT

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Are you interested in doing research and pursuing a PhD? If so, then consider the MD/PhD based on that grounds; not on whether it will increase your chances to get anywhere near an MD program. Four (but most probably more) years is a long time to be doing something that you're not 100% set on. :)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest dogeatdog12

I actually do like doing research but I don't know which area that would be best in. I have to think about it, but I think chemistry would be a good field.

I know the questions I posed seemed really narrow, but are there different quota's for MD/PhD students?

thanks

• 2 weeks later...
Guest med2006McGill

Hi there,

Unless you truly enjoy doing research, I do not recommend applying to the MD/PhD program because you'll have to devote 3-4 years of your life to research. Applying to the MD/PhD program does not increase your chances. They usually only take 1 OOP MD/PhD student.

Guest LoveMcGill

I can confirm that applying to the MD/PhD program at McGill might under some circumstances increase your chances of getting in. Although the official stand of most Medical Schools is that you must gain admission to both the MD and the PhD program independently, based on my conversation with one of the doctors involved with the MD/PhD selection committee, if an OOP applicant has an extraordinary research potential (i.e.: has respectable publication record and held an NSERC or a CIHR scholarship), he/she will have a better chance of getting to McGill’s Medical School as an MD/PhD rather than an MD applicant. Having gone through grad school myself, I must warn you. Grad School can be very tough in that things don’t often work out as you have planned. Although I have done relatively well for myself during grad school (decent publication, NSERC and OGS), I found that the amount of time and effort I put into Grad School was not proportional to how much knowledge I have gained. Hope I have provided you with some useful information. Best of luck with your application.

• 3 months later...

Dear LoveMcGill

About what u said, i was wondering ...

since we only need u application for both MDCM and MD/PhD ... do you think applying for both (if you are a strong applicant for grad school) will make it more comfortable (i mean, will guarantee - if there is such a thing - more chances?)

Thank you!!!

ps. i'm an international applicant (undergraduate form non-US or Canadaina university)

LuKa

• 2 years later...

Archived