Premed 101 Forums

average age of students starting medica school this fall

What if you looked at it this way?

I once heard a piece of advice that some of you may recognize. This person told me that before going to bed, I should leave a very important note for myself. Then, when I wake up, the first thing I should do is read it.

This note should say: "I will die."

Now, if that isn't the most depressing thing to read when you wake up, I don't know what is. BUT, the person told me to leave another note which I should read literally right after the first one.

The second note should say: "Not yet!"

What is my point? Well, if you live life one day at a time and in the present, then its a lot less worrisome. It gives you the perspective that you should in fact pursue your dreams. So, it's what we do each day between life as we know it and death, which is inevitable, that adds meaning to our lives.

As per this story, to each his/her own.

Like x 1000

i have been thinking about this stuff also. i feel like i have had to sacrifice alot in order to get in, all the things you have mentioned above. i seem to flip flop back and forth between wondering if it was worth it, or if i made a huge mistake. what sometimes worries me is that if this was a mistake, than i just lost out on the best years of my life which i will never get back.

I don't think you lost out on the best years of your life. From talking to older folks, their 20s were hardly their 'best years.' They say life improves immeasurably in your 30s and 40s.

I'm only two years into my 30s, and I can already say that life as a 30-something has been way better than life as a 20-something. So I don't think you can say you lost out on the best years of your life. Your best years are probably still ahead of you!

I don't think you lost out on the best years of your life. From talking to older folks, their 20s were hardly their 'best years.' They say life improves immeasurably in your 30s and 40s.

I'm only two years into my 30s, and I can already say that life as a 30-something has been way better than life as a 20-something. So I don't think you can say you lost out on the best years of your life. Your best years are probably still ahead of you!

thanks. i really appreciate this. :)

the posts thus far have been amazing. thanks premed101. :)

Completely agree. Getting older is amazing. You gain confidence, self awareness, and are generally more comfortable with yourself than ever before.

I was talking to a fantastic lady who told me that every decade she lived has been the best decade of her life. Isn't that a great goal to have?

we're actually a bunch of lucky people.

Some young people have youth but no money to show for. ie, no job, no education, nowhere to go.

Some older people have some money but not young anymore to do things they love to do when they are young but cannot afford it.

If you get in, you can see where you will be 5 or 8 years later; not many people have that luxury.

If you don't understand it, then welcome to the club. :D

and yet we're talking in this forum about what a 10 years difference between peer may mean.

I still have days where I wonder why I waited so long to get into med, why I spent so long in computer science and swimming before.. I wasn't a premed as I only decided a year ago to apply, so those years were just swimming as my #1 priority, and comp science as my "part-time job" in school. I have a couple of friends younger than me that are in their 2nd year of residency now (including one girl who started physio a year after me 10 years ago), and it makes me feel like I wasted my time.

Then I sit down and really think about it. That's when I have to admit I just wasn't ready to make the jump! Chances are I've always wanted to get into med, but it just wasn't drifting up to the surface yet, I needed to experience more things before I truly saw it. There's no way I would've done well in the MMI even just a couple years back. It was just my time now. But still, when I look at 80% of my class who's 18-20 well I still feel old.

And it might sound stupid, but being a single 30 year old starting med school isn't exactly easy emotionally either. Of course I want to meet a great guy, so we'll see I guess.

Timing is everything and you had to go through life exactly as you have with no regrets to be in the sp0ot where you are today. Before you were not ready for medicine and now, you are.

Moreover, in terms of men,, you are putting yourself in quite the pool ofligible men. One of my teachers in h.s. married her prof from undergrad studies...just saying. ;)

Haha :P

I'm looking forward to being done with premed for 2 reasons. 1) it's going to start looking more like med school. 2) more people will be closer to my age as there are older grads that get in directly to first year (met at least 3 at the interviews who start 1st year). I'm sure I'll meet people, strange feeling really because I've only ever had friends I was training with seeing as I was in and out of school as fast as possible! :D

I still have days where I wonder why I waited so long to get into med, why I spent so long in computer science and swimming before.. I wasn't a premed as I only decided a year ago to apply, so those years were just swimming as my #1 priority, and comp science as my "part-time job" in school. I have a couple of friends younger than me that are in their 2nd year of residency now (including one girl who started physio a year after me 10 years ago), and it makes me feel like I wasted my time.

Then I sit down and really think about it. That's when I have to admit I just wasn't ready to make the jump! Chances are I've always wanted to get into med, but it just wasn't drifting up to the surface yet, I needed to experience more things before I truly saw it. There's no way I would've done well in the MMI even just a couple years back. It was just my time now. But still, when I look at 80% of my class who's 18-20 well I still feel old.

Well :) I think many of those younger students never had the time to explore other areas of life (e.g. swimming) while you were able to and really enjoy!

I don't think you wasted your time :) you had a great time doing what you want and I'm sure years down the road when you look back you will most likely feel glad that you had the time to explore and enjoy something other than medicine.

Since medicine is a life-long career, once you're in it it's hard to get a chance to explore other things in life (although you definitely can :))

p.s. computer science is super cool too! hahahahahahaha

Haha :P

I'm looking forward to being done with premed for 2 reasons. 1) it's going to start looking more like med school. 2) more people will be closer to my age as there are older grads that get in directly to first year (met at least 3 at the interviews who start 1st year). I'm sure I'll meet people, strange feeling really because I've only ever had friends I was training with seeing as I was in and out of school as fast as possible! :D

What do you think about younger guys? ;)

Well :) I think many of those younger students never had the time to explore other areas of life (e.g. swimming) while you were able to and really enjoy!

I don't think you wasted your time :) you had a great time doing what you want and I'm sure years down the road when you look back you will most likely feel glad that you had the time to explore and enjoy something other than medicine.

Since medicine is a life-long career, once you're in it it's hard to get a chance to explore other things in life (although you definitely can :))

p.s. computer science is super cool too! hahahahahahaha

Thanks, that's what I keep telling myself. But sometimes your brain won't listen! Just wish people would stop making small jokes about the age thing, they think it's witty or funny but I don't.. my mom did that the other day and when she saw the tear in my eye she stopped! Same with my ortho, he was trying to guess what specialty I was looking at and said well you're too old to be thinking about ortho with a grin but still, you know how it somehow seems to hit you? I'll get over it once I'm in there I think, and there are lots of people around me who support my choice too including an ex teammate who's now pretty high up in the ortho department at my school. :)

In U of T's 1T4 class, apparently the average female is a year older than the average dude - 23 vs. 24 I believe. I found that rather intriguing.

I'm 21, but looking forward to interacting with my older, wiser classmates for sure :cool:

I love older women too.

Well said.. I feel exactly the same. I rushed through life ignoring medicine at the back of my mind, thinking I would someday feel fulfilled with my chosen career so I could get married, buy a house, have children, buy the vacation property, etc... And now at 30 I finally stopped to look around and take a breath an realized that this careerr is not for me!! (and when I mentioned switching careers to my parents they tell me they were surprised I ended up where I am because they always saw me in more of a humanitarian role!!)

Now to give it all back (except the marriage and children of

Course!) to go back to school. Sure would have been easier to do it right after undergrad but I was in a rush to get out there, make money and get life going.

Never rush it. Take the time to get where you really want to be. Otherwise you may end up taking an even longer path to get there. Really in ye grand scheme of a 70 year life, what is an extra 2,3,4,5,6 years?? Not much!!

Completely agree!

Archived