Premed 101 Forums

Doctors Dating Patients

HopeToBeGreen

To me, the conflict lies in the power imbalance and things being equal, she will be flattered as welll as easy pickings.
This argument can be said for any successful person trying to date an 18-year-old. Your objection isn't to a doctor dating an 18-year-old former patient; it's to anyone successful dating an 18-year-old person. Of course there will be some kind of "power imbalance" in that kind of situation. You think I go to pubs to meet girls who are also going to med? No, the way you find someone is to impress them with whatever you got. In that sense every relationship tries to assume an initial power imbalance.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This argument can be said for any successful person trying to date an 18-year-old. Your objection isn't to a doctor dating an 18-year-old former patient; it's to anyone successful dating an 18-year-old person. Of course there will be some kind of "power imbalance" in that kind of situation. You think I go to pubs to meet girls who are also going to med? No, the way you find someone is to impress them with whatever you got. In that sense every relationship tries to assume an initial power imbalance.

If the former patient was 22-23, the same imbalance would exist. The imbalance stems from the pre-existing professional relationship that definitely influences how she perceives the doctor, even if she is 30 and he is 35. There is no problem with anyone dating an 18 year old (or person of any age), etc but for the prior professional relationship.

You are correct that everybody uses what they have on the table in the dating game; and power politics/games go on all the time in relatrionships and marriages. The game is tilted though when there has first been a professional relsationship. I would counsel anybody not to play where they work, not with employees, not with clients, not with patients, however, the reality is that is goes on regularly. So long as those who play realize that they may have to pay (the price) at some point. To me, it is just not worth it. Professors and students have had relationships forever and that too is playing with fire. Some profs with high libidos and being in an environment akin to a candy store cannot resist temptation - very dangerous to their careers, to the reputation of the university and can result in successful and expensive lawsuits by students. To each their own but the ethical highroad is so much more honest and simple.

anyone familiar with the rules of a dentist dating a patient / former patient?

I don't have a clue but expect the same standards apply. I have heard of one male dentist whose elbows are highly erotically sensitive as they accidentally on purpose brush against a part of the female anatomy as if nothing is happening so the female patient does not complain while he is performing his professional task. This is highly inappropriate and the professional should lose his license, however, it is impossible to prove he is doing anything other than dentistry.

A patient is a patient is a patient and should be treated with the highest ethical and professional standards at all times and I see no valid reason to cross the line.

While I understand that the majority of cases may be male doctor and female patient, we can't always assume this is the case. What happens if the doctor is a female and the patient is male? Does the same power imbalance exist?

I think it's also unfair to assume- in this current day and age where doctors are no longer perceived as fatherly figures that know best or unquestionable paragons of ethics, morality and intelligence (at least, in North America...I mean, most patients trust Google more than their docs)- that the majority of patients are naive, vulnerable and impressionable individuals. I'm not saying there aren't doctors out there that don't take advantage of their patients (sexually or emotionally) or that I expect every doctor graduating out of med school is in it to only do what is best for the patient, but not all doctors (male or female) are trying to just get laid or take advantage of their (former) patients while in a relationship. What if a patient makes the first move? Is the doctor supposed to take the "ethically superior" road and decide that the patient doesn't get a right to decide they want to end the professional relationship and embark on a personal one? Isn't this just as paternalistic...to assume doctors should somehow be adherent to an ethical standard higher than others? This ends up feeding back into giving doctors an unfair power.

I think the word "dating" itself implies that both adults would be consenting individuals (without one person, doctor or patient, unfairly pushing the other into an unwanted relationship), where the patient would be referred to another doctor, the professional relationship would end, and both parties would know that no more medicine or procedures could be prescribed or advice doled out. We're not talking about sexual harassment...we're talking about a relationship, where the doctor legitimately feels attracted to the patient and has more in mind than just getting to have sex with the patient a couple of times.

I may be naive in my thinking, but I don't believe that just because some a**hole-y doctors exist, that other doctors, who go through the proper procedure of referring the patient to another doctor and ending all professional entanglements as best as possible (and you know, NOT asking them out in the hospital/clinic itself) shouldn't get to date a former patient. It's not like the patient is being threatened or can't say no. I mean, they're being referred to another doctor, so it's not like they have to worry about not getting proper treatment (though I suppose one could argue that a patient would be worried about saying no, and having to continue with a doctor they just spurned).

In the end, let's give credit to some doctors. If they hopefully are in this profession because they do want to help patients, and do what's best for them, then they will either a) realize that they can't be objective with a patient they have a major crush on and it's better for the patient to see another doctor (regardless of actual dating) or B) realize that referring the patient to another doctor who may not be as good may be detrimental for the patient, in which case, truly caring for the patient may actually be about squashing down personal feelings.

I very much enjoyed your excellent discussion on this topic. And the discussion touches upon real life situations. I can imagine nothing worse for a phyisican for him to have ceased dr.-patient contact, commenced dating this ex-patient and 4 months later, the ex-patient complains to the licencing authority for professional misconduct as relating to crossing the line in becoming personally involved. She is soulmate no longer, now a spurned or spurning ex-lover. Why even go down that road where such a possibility may occur when there are so many attractive and interesting people on this planet and likely, within the community.

Should the patient be male (and secure), there is less of a power imbalance, but here again, the doctor is exposing herself to potential embarressmnent should the male at the end of the relationship want to stir up porfessional ethics, etc in the context of the licencing authority for the physician. My motto is simply it is better to be safe than sorry; and no candy in the professional store so to speak. Dr. Murray was to make an enormous sum of money in attending to now deceased Michael Jackson but he crossed his wires and is now before the courts related to the death of Michael Jackson. My only point here is that when the lines become blurred between professional motives and personal interests/conflicts, it has already gone too far, even if you fire the patient, etc. It is so unncessary. Due to pressures in the workplace where there is intense emotional involvement professionally, this often spills over into private lives and this is bad enough, e.g., doctor-nurse. These things occur with married individuals too, just as a married doctor might fall for one of his/her patients.

To me, in an ideal world, the penalties would be so severe professionally for a physician that on a risk-reward basis it would not be worth it to ever embark upon going down that road.

If the patient makes an inappropriate move, I would record it in the chart fully and refuse to see the patient again under any circumstances, recommending another physician. I would be protecting the patient and myself, ethically, professionally and legally. And I would ensure the chart was kept in a secure place so that it would be available if ever needed for my own protection.

Although we are not talking about sexual harassment, we are talking about entering into the twilight zone where regardless of what one believes, it is impossible to predict how it will end. There are so many intangibles, variables, unknowns, it just does not make sense to potentially jeopardize one's reputation for what might be considered an indiscretion at the end of the day. Reputation is everything and why even possibly allow it to be tarnished. I just don't get it.

In the end, let's give credit to some doctors. If they hopefully are in this profession because they do want to help patients, and do what's best for them, then they will either a) realize that they can't be objective with a patient they have a major crush on and it's better for the patient to see another doctor (regardless of actual dating) or B) realize that referring the patient to another doctor who may not be as good may be detrimental for the patient, in which case, truly caring for the patient may actually be about squashing down personal feelings.

http://www.modernmedicine.com/modernmedicine/Modern+Medicine+Now/Physician-patient-speed-dating-is-catching-on/ArticleSt...

Although hard data are difficult to find, physician-patient "speed dating" is increasing in popularity nationwide. Speed-dating events, which generally are held by hospitals, typically feature 5 or 6 physicians and a few dozen prospective patients who are seeking "Dr Right." Patients are allocated 5 minutes with each doctor to ask general questions about the doctor's experience and practice before a bell or other signal announces that it's time to move on to the next physician.

The concept, which is popular in matchmaking and career networking circles, affords hospitals an inexpensive means to increase volume. Because the events are promoted through social media, YouTube videos, and e-mail newsletters from the hospital, marketing and advertising costs are minimal, and the novelty attracts media coverage and raises the profile of the institution and the physicians who participate. In addition, the screening process offers the potential for patients to recommend a physician to friends and family members and for physicians to make referrals to colleagues.

Hospital leaders claim that patients like the speed-dating format because they can meet a few doctors in 1 place without having to make an appointment and face a copay for each visit. Physicians who have participated in these events say they are happy with the ability to quickly meet prospective patients and identify those who are a good "fit."

Elliott VS. "Speed dating" growing as patients, doctors look to strike a match. American Medical News. October 11, 2010. http://www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2010/10/11/bisa1011.htm. Accessed November 11, 2010.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/story/2011/08/06/bc-texting-doctor-suspended.html

A Vancouver cardiologist has been suspended for three months after admitting to sending inappropriate text messages last fall.

Dr. Alnoor Hassanali Karim Abdulla sent text messages following an appointment with a patient, "the tone and content of which could be reasonably perceived as demonstrating a personal interest beyond a professional relationship," the College of Physicians and Surgeons of British Columbia said in a news release.

During the suspension, which began on Aug. 2, Abdullah must seek assessment and counselling from psychiatrists or psychologists and complete an ethics assessment program to be defined by the college, the release said.

Upon return to practice, the college said, Abdulla will have to arrange for a chaperone to be present during "all complete physical examinations, chest examinations including the examination of the cardiovascular system, and all other examinations requiring disrobing by female patients."

He must also post signs regarding the examination conditions in his office reception area and in the examination rooms.

Abdulla must also pay the college $2,000 to cover the costs of the disciplinary action, the release said.

End of Story Content

Coming on to a patient, in writing, is stupid and unprofessional

assuming she will like it is the height of arrogance - he provided all the evidence on a platter. He got away lightly all things considered. And if he does this again, he should lose his licence to practice medicine. Medicine is not meant to be a predatory sport for horny physicians.

Coming on to a patient, in writing, is stupid and unprofessional

assuming she will like it is the height of arrogance - he provided all the evidence on a platter. He got away lightly all things considered. And if he does this again, he should lose his licence to practice medicine. Medicine is not meant to be a predatory sport for horny physicians.

Ya I agree with what you said , particularly with the stupid part.

Kinda reminds me of Anthony Weiner - no one beats that guy in stupidity though.

Kinda reminds me of Anthony Weiner - no one beats that guy in stupidity though.

I was also thinking of Weiner while I was writing my post. I cannot understand/believe such poor judgment. Do they actually believe what they are doing will remain private? Sort of like the ex Dean of U/A Medical School who thought his blatant plagairism would go unnoticed but that he would get credit for his great speech!

Archived