Premed 101 Forums

2nd Undergrad - Distance

Anyone aware of universities offering 2nd undergrads esp BA(general) or BSc(general) entirely online. Athabasca and Thompson River doesn't work since they give you 6 months to finish a course. I am seeking a university that offers a 4 year degree entirely distance with traditional sep-dec and jan to apr terms.

Thank you

The Ath/TRU thing will still work, you just have to make sure you complete the courses between those months. Soooo... don't sign up for a start date in August!

I have already cleared the TRU BA Psyc as being OK with western.

Also, some (many) of the courses through TRU are actually offered through brick and mortar institutions, and run Sept-Dec or Jan-April, and have scheduled exam times.

The Ath/TRU thing will still work, you just have to make sure you complete the courses between those months. Soooo... don't sign up for a start date in August!

I have already cleared the TRU BA Psyc as being OK with western.

Also, some (many) of the courses through TRU are actually offered through brick and mortar institutions, and run Sept-Dec or Jan-April, and have scheduled exam times.

Would it be okay if you signed up for 5 courses each semester (say, between Sept-Dec.) but completed them at various times within the semester? Or do you have to complete all of the 5 courses at the end of the semester?

Athabasca told me the only way that could happen is if I have a student loan. Since I'll be working and paying for this second undergrad myself, I do not quality for a 4 month traditional term. They also told me that my transcripts wouldn't show the end date and would only show the start date....I don't kwow maybe I am confused. Kylamnky you're saying that I could have 5 courses with start date of Sep and then finish them in 2-4 months and have a start date of jan for another 5 courses??

The reason I can't take any on site courses is due to my shift work as a future RN. I graduate in Dec this year and would like to start my second UG i Sep 2012.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

You are doing nursing, so I think it would be better for you to do a 2nd under-graduation in some health care field only. I think something technical would bring a variation in your career, like MRI technician career. There are many colleges even offering online bachelor's degree in MRI technician. These colleges are accredited and also provide the support from the professors and other students whenever necessary. And if you are really in need of some education loan, then these colleges can provide you with their grants scheme also. It would almost bear all your cost of studies. Following site has all the information about the grants scheme in these colleges. http://mritechnicianschools.net/mri-technician-college-grants/

Hope the above information would help you in taking your 2nd under-grad course.

With Athabasca, they give you 6 months to complete the course, however you can complete it as fast as you're able. The only date on the transcript is the start date. When I talked to them, in order to make it look like a standard semester, register for 5 courses to start Sept 1 (had to have been done by Aug 10, not sure if there's a way around this) and complete them by December. Then register for another 5 courses in January, complete them by end of April. Voila, a standard semester setup.

The whole thing with reducing course lengths from 6 months to 4 has something to do if you're getting funding from the uni, and has no impact whatsoever on the transcript.

You can finish the courses at any time along the semester, because there is no end date.

The only catch, in order to register for Jan 1 start date, you need to be finished all your courses by Dec 10 (I think they'll let you carry 6 courses at one time, so one can be finished later than that) And they require a 30 day notice of when you want to write the final so it takes a little time management to make sure everything is done and ready to go for the next semester.

Archived