Premed 101 Forums

Clinical research course abroad?

Hi everyone,

I'm new here and I have a question!

I will be doing an exchange student program in Europe this upcoming year (3rd year) and I have the opportunity to take an independent research course that will allow me to conduct clinical research at the Child and Pediatric Hospital. We are required to write an 8000 word paper at the end of the year.

My problem is that I've already done a research course in my second year, and I didn't particularly like it (mostly because I was working with computers and I didn't find the project that interesting.)

I'm not sure whether to give research another shot. I know clinical research looks great for med schools, but I don't want to do something because I have to. I also don't really know much about clinical research. Doing this course means that I'm also using up 1 course unit (I'm only allowed to take 4 courses) and there are so many courses that I find so interesting, it's hard to limit myself!

Do you think it's worth it to take this course?

My problem is that I've already done a research course in my second year, and I didn't particularly like it (mostly because I was working with computers and I didn't find the project that interesting.)

I'm not sure whether to give research another shot. I know clinical research looks great for med schools, but I don't want to do something because I have to. I also don't really know much about clinical research. Doing this course means that I'm also using up 1 course unit (I'm only allowed to take 4 courses) and there are so many courses that I find so interesting, it's hard to limit myself!

Do you think it's worth it to take this course?

Clinical research has been much more fun and interesting than any other type of research I've ever done. But really, like with so many other things one pursues, one should be excited about the project. And, if you are excited about the research project good things can happen at a fast rate.

In terms of the clinical research course, what is your research project going to be on? Are you interested in the methodology of your research? What stage of the clinical research will you be participating in? What drug/treatment/etc. are you looking at? Exactly what type of clinical research would you be doing (preventitive, screening, diagnostic, etc.) Who would be the PI? All of these are questions you should ask yourself.

Just basically do your own research about the research first before eliminating it from your course selection. I've found my own research to be very rewarding - for instance, I've always been interested in preventative trials and the study I've been working at focuses on preventing a disease I am highly interested in using safe methods.

Though, if you find courses you are more interested than this research project, I would say go for it. You really should make the best of your undergrad and do whatever you think you'll enjoy when afforded the chance to.

thanks for all the answers!

I'm not quite sure what the project is yet, because we are allowed to look around at what interests us for the first couple weeks and then we choose. Thanks for the advice! I will certainly ask myself these questions before going ahead on the research project.

I think clinical research may be exciting, I guess I have to just read up more about it and what possibilities there are!

thanks for all the answers!

I'm not quite sure what the project is yet, because we are allowed to look around at what interests us for the first couple weeks and then we choose. Thanks for the advice! I will certainly ask myself these questions before going ahead on the research project.

I think clinical research may be exciting, I guess I have to just read up more about it and what possibilities there are!

That is awesome :) and yeah, when you find out what the project is on and you're still looking for some advice don't hesitate to send me a PM or create a thread on pm101.

I hope you have a great experience abroad!

Archived