Premed 101 Forums

How can I get an essay of mine published?

equus

When I was in IB in high school, I wrote a 4000-word essay about how the characters in two short stories valued the things in their lives and how their lives were consequently affected. It's basically about appreciating the seemingly insignificant details of one's life to increase one's happiness.

I received an A on this essay, the highest possible grade, and my English teacher told me that it was good enough to be published.

The thing is, I have no idea how to go about this. Does anyone have any advice?

Edit: Yes, it was my Extended Essay.

If you are talking about your extended essay, I believe you can. There are literally thousands of online journals (some peer-reviewed, some not) in countless institutions in Canada. I wrote mine in English and pulled off a B on it (good job on that A!) and am in the process of trying to get it out. I looked up some English literature journals for undergrads and there are tons, most of which just require you have a Phd to proofread your work before you submit abstract.

So first and foremost, try and approach somebody in the department pertaining to the subject of your essay. If that route fails, you'll just have to reconsider and try less distinguished journals or magazines.

Your teacher may have genuinely wished to encourage you due to your writing talent but whether or not the teacher was meant to be taken literally is another matter.

I encourage you to create a thread and to share this writing with us all in one or more posts.

the OP SHOULDN'T post their writing here and open themselves up to plagiarism by others, or a potential publisher questioning the credibility of their work if it's been previously distributed on the internet....

I agree. I don't think this is the place to have english literature critiques and meaningful feedback, especially if the plan is to publish it as an original piece later on. Most journals I've dealt with won't accept pieces that have been previously published (the same may apply to magazines and periodicals that publish these english literature insights) and posting it here may be considered by some as enough to disqualify it from consideration.

Archived